Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Choosing a Target Device OS – now updated!

Quoted from this blog post:  Choosing a Target Device OS – now updated!

We’re often asked for advice on how to choose a minimum version of BlackBerry® Device Software to target for BlackBerry® smartphone applications. There’s no one right answer, as there are many important considerations that will be unique and based on a solid understanding of your application, your end users, and other requirements.

However, we can help with a few common variables: supported smartphones and key features, and information about BlackBerry subscribers and downloads from BlackBerry App World™. It’s simple – you want to build the best possible app (a Super App!) and get the most bang for your development buck!

In August, we added a new page to the ‘Getting Started’ area on the BlackBerry® Developer Zone, and it has just been updated with information from November. Did you know that you can now reach 93% of BlackBerry smartphones by targeting BlackBerry® Device Software v4.5 and higher? This is up 10% from August. Also, you can reach almost half of BlackBerry smartphones by targeting BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0 and 6.

For more OS and BlackBerry App World information, check out Choosing a Target Device OS.

I wish you happy building and happy selling – and happy holidays too!

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Choosing a Target Device OS – now updated!

That's AWESOME Mark.. I was wondering when these stats would be updated Smiley Happy

What is very cool is that 86% of those buying apps are 5.0+ which is exactly the target OS for BlackBerry WebWorks development.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter