Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Confused about the idea of a "web service" (attempting to read db and make data accessable to device)

To make a web service, must I code a java app that sends and receives data through sockets? Or, do I create a web service? What is a web service? Is mysql a web service?

I have a servlet application that accesses a db and can operate on it. I need a mobile device to be able to access this information, but I don't want to make my app access the webapp.

Anyone have any advice? I've begun reading how to develop bb apps, SOAP, and some other things so far

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Developer

Re: Confused about the idea of a "web service" (attempting to read db and make data accessable to device)

if you want to use SOAP u must you java with KSOAP

but if you want to use web development, you can use JSON

---------------------------------------------------------------
Best Regards

William
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Confused about the idea of a "web service" (attempting to read db and make data accessable to device)

I want to use SOAP, buy my question is, which protocol should I use?

Should I write a server in C/C++ that supports threading, opens up one thread per connection, and deals with RPCs?

Or is an "Apache Web Service" essentially the same thing, except I can write it in Java? I'd like to stick with Java if possible, I just don't know why I'd need an Apache Web Service for this. Does a web service simplify my job?

I need to excecute DB queries and such from my server app, and send them to my client (blackberry devices) using SOAP.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Here would be a good start for a tutorial on exposing data via a WebService in Java

http://www.roseindia.net/webservices/buildingsimplewebservice.shtml

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Developer

wow its a great tutorial

---------------------------------------------------------------
Best Regards

William