Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Contacts API missing property fields

Hello Admins,

Don't know where to report this so I'll just post it here. Contacts API misses property fields for retrieving Mobile 2 and Home fax. Also, the faxPhone property returns a work fax, this caused some confusion on my part either it's a home fax or work fax. Hopefully, you could look into this issue.

Happy coding.

Developer

Re: Contacts API missing property fields

Oh, and if this was already fixed. Please also update the API Reference.

Thanks!
Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi 

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Developer

Hello Jeff,

I see. But will there be a possibility that it would be exposed? It's just that a part of my application includes a custom contact list which consists of phonebook contacts that have a mobile number and with the current implementation, since we could not check if there exists a mobile 2, that contact is not displayed on the list. With that said, is it possible to create a javascript just to expose this number?

Hopefully this is not tagged as spam, just want to share this in the forums if ever someone else faced the same problem. This comment is also posted on the github thread. Smiley Happy

Developer

Oops, bumped into another problem on the following :
- OS 5.0.0.862 (Bundle 1446, Platform 5.1.0.175)
- OS 5.0.0.1036 (Bundle 1682, Platform 5.2.0.104)
- OS 5.0.0.846 (Bundle 1440, Platform 6.3.0.39)
(These are all the device bundles I've tested my apps with, don't know if it's safe to say that it's for all OS5 bundles)

Seems that when a user has a Mobile 1 and Mobile 2 numbers, Mobile 2 is retrieved even if we're using the mobilePhone property.
Also, if a user has a Mobile 2 number (without Mobile 1), we were still able to retrieve a Mobile 2 number, again using the mobilePhone property.

This does not happen in OS 6 and OS 7 as of my latest testing which would be noticeable if the client checks on both OS's.

Should I file this as another issue?

Thanks for your assistance btw Smiley Happy
Developer

Help? Smiley Happy

Retired

Hey 

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
Developer

Hello jeff,

Ok I'm hands down with the mobile 2 and home fax issue not being accessible through the API. Probably the best thing to do there is wait for it to be accessible in later SDKs but truth be told, I strongly suggest it to be open to us developers. Who knows who might be needing the mobile 2 data right? Anyway, thanks for your support on this.

Now about the different OS/build combo, is it really because of that?  Though lacking with evidence (since I've only tested it on three OS5 devices, Torch OS6 and Bold OS7), results in retrieving data seems really different against OS6 and 7 as to what I get from OS5. Please see this sample : 

/**
 * Retrieve Contact list
 */
var aContactList = blackberry.pim.Contact.find( null ,  null , null ,  null ,  true);

/**
 * Let's say for example that my first contact has the following
 * contact details :
 * Mobile : 11111111111
 * Mobile 2 : 22222222222
 */

/**
 * This is where the problems occur
 */
alert(aContactList[0].mobilePhone); 
// Displays 11111111111 on OS5
// Correctly displays 22222222222 on OS6 and 7

/**
 * For another test, assuming details for second contact :
 * Mobile : <none>
 * Mobile 2 : 22222222222
 */
alert(aContactList[1].mobilePhone);
// Displays 22222222222 on OS5
// Correctly retrieves none on OS6 and OS7 

Sorry, I just need a solid explanation for my client Smiley Happy

Retired

[ Edited ]

Hi