Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: N/A
My Carrier: N/A

Controlling Connection Type

Hello,

Is there a way to control the application connection and make it use the MDS connection to corporate network only ?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Controlling Connection Type

Hello,

You can specify the transport method in your config.xml

<rim:connection timeout="25000">
   <id>MDS</id>
   <id>BIS-B</id>
   <id>TCP_WIFI</id>
   <id>TCP_CELLULAR</id>
   <id>WAP2</id>
   <id>WAP</id>
</rim:connection>

Here's a link to the documentation as well: https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/config_doc_elements.html

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 and PlayBook

Based on the documentation I doubt this is possible but can the connection ordering be changed after the app is installed?  

If you think i should start a new thread for this question let me know.  I don't mean to hijack the thread but thought the question was related and worth posting in here.

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

No it cannot.  

As Chad mentioned, you define a prioritized order of which transports you wish your application to use to connect to external resources.  It does not guarantee that any of those transports will actually be used, nor does it ensure your app will only use one of them.  The system decides which one is available and uses that based on the order you provide.

There are some helpful APIs available to let you discover information about the active connection type

The blackberry.system.hasCapability() method can be used to detect whether the WiFi or Cell radio is turned on:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/blackberry.system.html#.hasCapability

With BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK, the new Connection API lets you detect what type of connection is being used (e.g. WiFi, 3G, 4G):

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/blackberry.connection.html

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Hi Adan,

this APi for monitoring connection changes is awesome! Do you know any way I could achieve something similar on WebWorks for Playbook OS 2.0 or Playbook 2.1 Beta?

That woud be a game changer for me!

Cheers!

Cheers!