Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Create UDP Broadcast socket and wait to receive a message

I'm trying to develop a Blackberry OS 5 or greater application using HTML5, Javascript and Webworks SDK.

I want to create an application which open a UDP Broadcast socket and wait to receive a message.

Is this possible to do with WebWorks?

Solutions: 6,377
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Create UDP Broadcast socket and wait to receive a message

Vans, please don't double post and cross post your questions in the forum. Once is enough, thanks.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Create-an-UDP-Broadcast-socket-and-wait...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Re: Create UDP Broadcast socket and wait to receive a message

[ Edited ]

Oh, posted again?!

To give this question an answer: you can not open any UDP using WebWorks since it is based on HTTP communication over TCP, I guess. UDP, in contrast to the connection-oriented TCP, is a connectionless network protocol to broadcast messages to someone but you can not receive an answer over the same channel.

Depending on what device and OS you are targeting it may be possible to write your own UPD send and receive extension in Java/Flash/... and use such extension in your WebWorks app.

On the other hand, what about HTML5 websocket support? On PlayBook and BB10 Dev Alpha it seems to be supported testing against http://html5test.com, but I can't test on other BB phones due to the lack of one.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.