Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Debugging JavaScript

Hi there,

Sorry to trouble, just wonder what techniques people use for debugging JS on BB browsers? It looks like support for JS in browsers < 4.6 is rather rudimental, and there are basically no tools for debugging other than alert statements (which are buggy on their own - I've seen two alerts shown one after another failing Smiley Sad).

So out of curiosity, are everybody struggling with that, or it's just me Smiley Happy? If anyone knows a better way for developing JS for BB, can they kindly post a link or share the experience?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Nick.

Developer

Re: Debugging JavaScript

HI Nick

Yes, you are correct, I found it hard to work with js and the BB. I have been using alerts to debug the js code, but I have found sometimes the alerts cause problems, especially when creating pages ad hoc using document.write.

I usually test the js in a validator tool then just use alerts to view the parameters etc.

I would love to hear of some better ideas for using js with the BB browser.

Cheers

Andrew

Retired

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your post. I guess corporate world just doesn't like Web 2.0 mobile interfaces too much, all those flashy dynamic things are so consumer-centric Smiley Happy. Out of curiosity, I looked at what other platform provide, and there are some tools out there:

http://www.joehewitt.com/blog/firebug_for_iph.php
   http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-eclipse-iphone-debug.html

Would be very nice if BB browser becomes a little bit more developer friendly.

Retired

Hello,

The upcoming BlackBerry Developer Conference will contain an extensive Web Development track that will be of interest to you.  These sessions that will contain a lot of new information about web tooling and building next generation web applications.  You can find the session catalog here (but note that the session list isn't complete, we are still adding sessions).  We are anticipating that the majority of the browser session will be concentrating on the 4.6 browser.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Weber
Sr Application Development Consultant
Research In Motion
New Developer

Hi JWeber,

Thanks for the info.

I did a quick survey at our company and everyone is running 4.2 on their phones and are not interested in upgrading them under any circumstances.

I have been struggling with debugging on the blackberry also, but was persevering until I found that the element.createTextNode() call had a bug in it.  I have not been able to find a workaround and this is stopping deployment of our application.

Can you confirm:

That this is a bug in the browser

That it has been fixed in 4.3

If so what is the procedure to request a patch be released to fix the problem in 4.2?

Matt

Highlighted
Retired

Hello,

I have been unable to determine if the function you mentioned has been addressed but I'll outline the upgrade process.

If you want to upgrade your v4.2 devices then you will need to get them to upgrade to v4.5 as this is the next OS version that is supported on all devices.  Other versions are usually specific to a particular device model (such as 4.3).  We do not release patches for existing OS versions.

-Jeremy 

Jeremy Weber
Sr Application Development Consultant
Research In Motion