Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: None yet
My Carrier: N/A

Denied for a glitch I can't see on my device

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am not sure this is the right forum to post in, as I don't know whether it is a problem with WebWorks or something else. I submitted 3 games for the All Aboard Port-a-thon, and all were denied because "the texts on the right and left side of the app's layout are stretched and couldn't be read". The application worked just fine in Ripple. I can not run the simulator on my computer, but my friend has a Dev Alpha (I wouldn't know which version and which OS, though), so I always send him my .bar file so he makes sure everything works fine (sometimes sending me screenshots) before I submit the apps, and all three looked perfect on his device, so I really can't see what is causing the problem.

More details :

I had participated in the Got Game Port-a-thon and submitted 4 apps then (built with WebWorks 1.0.2.9). All 4 were accepted on the first try without any problem. A couple days later, I received an email from BlackBerry saying WebWorks had a newer version available (1.0.3.8) and that my apps needed to be recompiled with the newer version. So I downloaded WebWorks 1.0.3.8, installed it and built all 4 apps again with 1.0.3.8 and submitted them without checking for compatibility issues : all 4 were accepted.

I later realized that I hadn't replaced the Javascript file with the 1.0.3.8 version in the project directory, but since my apps were already accepted, I left it that way. When making my first app for All Aboard, I made sure I used the 1.0.3.8 Javascript file. However, when I sent the .bar file to my friend, his device popped up a warning saying it was not compatible and that I had to use the 1.0.2.9 js file. Using the older js file but building with WebWorks 1.0.3.8 solved the problem and I submitted my app. When I got the e-mail saying my app was denied for the reason mentioned above, I tried moving the layout around a bit and rebuilding. This time though, my friend's device said I had to use the 1.0.3.8 js file instead of the older one (maybe he had updated his OS since the last time). I found that odd but did so, and it fixed the problem. So I rebuilt all my apps with WebWorks 1.0.3.8 with the 1.0.3.8 js file, but all of them were denied again for the same reason : graphic glitches which don't show up on my friend's device. Right now I really don't know what to fix, and I don't even know what the glitches look like.

I can provide the name of the apps, ticket numbers and screenshots from my friend's device (which are perfectly normal) if you think it will help. I can also ask my friend for details about his device.

Thank you very much for your time!

Retired
My Device: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Denied for a glitch I can't see on my device

Hi,

Please try building your app on the Gold SDK - 1.0.4.5. The message about conflicting JavaScript files is caused by a mismatch between the SDK used to build your app and the webworks.js file you included.

We've simplified this by automatically bundling webworks.js into your app. Simply reference local:///chrome/webworks.js.

As for your rendering issue, I highly recommend getting access to a simulator running the latest OS. Ripple will only take you so far - it uses Chrome for rendering, which is based on webkit like BB10 is, but there are differences.

Bryan Higgins
BlackBerry WebWorks
@bryanhiggins
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: None yet
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Denied for a glitch I can't see on my device

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have tried rebuilding using the Gold version. I hope the glitches were just a compatibilty problem, and that the app worked on my friend's device only because he had an older OS or something.