Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev Alpha B, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Sprint; wifi only for testing

Dev Alpha C Screen Resolution

[ Edited ]

I just got my Dev Alpha C, and started packaging/testing my apps on it.

I'm using WebWorks and CSS3 Media Queries to target Dev Alpha B, using

Horrified, when Dev Alpha C showed extremely large images and elements across all my apps. So when I tested the screen resolution it showed up as 346 x 346! The Kitchen Sink App also shows both screen.availHeight and width to be 346.

I'm currently using on the hardware device.

Should I be using Media Queries using aspect ratio 1:1 to target all my content instead of screen resolution, or is there a better way to check for content? Some of my images are 480 pixels wide, and while text floats well, the images are not sized correctly.

Has someone compiled a best practices document for the Q10 device?

Thanks for the hardware! I'm really glad to have a few weeks to test and recompile before the q10 device comes on the market.

Update 1:18pm

I installed, and now the screen resolution has increased by 1 pixel in each dimension.

Update 1:27pm

Unfortunately since the above screen res is so small, my windowcover.png image (336 x 396 pixels) is smashed down, along with the splash screen image (compared to alpha dev b). 

Film App: Watch feature length Public Domain and Indie Films in your Blackberry Tablet, share, and post comments - with no ads: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/42793
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Dev Alpha C Screen Resolution

If you set your viewport as described in the <script> approach of this KB:

You should get a 1:1 device to viewport pixel ratio, meaning the full 720x720 pixels.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
My Device: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Dev Alpha C Screen Resolution

For the splash screen, you can specify an alternate rim:splash with the 720x720 image.

For window cover, I believe the image should be 211x310.

You can check for this dynamically using blackberry.ui.cover.coverSize

Bryan Higgins
BlackBerry WebWorks