Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dev Alpha GPS

Has anyone got GPS working using Web Works for Dev Alpha?

I'm getting a "Location Manager offline" message when I try and execute the navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition API. Permissions appear to be handled correctly.

I'm using the sample application from the following link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Using-HTML5-Geolocation-in-your-...

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Dev Alpha GPS

AFAIK, GPS on Dev Alpha is not enabled... or so I've heard. offical confirmation would be nice.

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi everybody

I implemented a small GPS test app for playbook and also deployed it to the BB10 dev alpha and GPS is working like expected. Sometimes, like on PlayBook, it needs a lot of time to get a GPS fix and also seem to have issue updating the values since the API fires an event only every 10 seconds what is way too long for usage in any app, but at the end I can only confirm that it is working.

Regards

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Developer

LBP wrote:

Hi everybody

I implemented a small GPS test app for playbook and also deployed it to the BB10 dev alpha and GPS is working like expected. Sometimes, like on PlayBook, it needs a lot of time to get a GPS fix and also seem to have issue updating the values since the API fires an event only every 10 seconds what is way too long for usage in any app, but at the end I can only confirm that it is working.

Regards

just double checking webworks thought right?

Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

ignites wrote:

AFAIK, GPS on Dev Alpha is not enabled... or so I've heard. offical confirmation would be nice.

The API reference indicates BB10 webworks supports GPS.Not sure about the Alpha, but it is supposed to work native.

However it appears GPS is a problem on the BB10 devices according to the following post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/Is-Geolocation-available-for-BB10/td-p/176...

Developer

br14 wrote:

ignites wrote:

The API reference indicates BB10 webworks supports GPS.Not sure about the Alpha, but it is supposed to work native.

However it appears GPS is a problem on the BB10 devices according to the following post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/Is-Geolocation-available-for-BB10/td-p/176...

I remember reading that somewhere.. thanks =). But above poster said he got it to work let's hear his response.

Highlighted
Developer
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi everbody

ignites wrote:

I remember reading that somewhere.. thanks =). But above poster said he got it to work let's hear his response.

I got  it to working using only the navigator.geolocation.watchPosition(callback) event. It needs a lot of time to get the GPS fix, but it works at the end, I tried to walk around outside and also drive by car and it give me most of the parameters explained in API docs. To let you know, I packaged as a Cordova/Phonegap project with WebWorks SDK for PlayBook, not the BB10 SDK since I always have issues packaging an app with this one!

Hope you get it running on your dev alphas!!!

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.