Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Development environment setup question

I'm new to widgets but not to BB Java development and am trying to understand what I need for Eclipse.

I have followed the instructions to install the Widget SDK and Web Plugin using the Eclipse -> Install new software route. When I work through the document for building and debugging your first plugin, there is a point where you add a Tomcat server, but Tomcat isn't in my available options. Following the Download server adaptors link doesn't show any Tomcat related content either.

I suspect I need to install Tomcat first and that the download server adaptors is just for the Eclipse connection, is that correct? 

If so I have a problem as I am running Eclipse and the JRE under 32 bit mode on 64 bit Windows 7. I do not have a 64 bit JRE installed which presents a problem for installing Tomcat. Is there any documentation on how to use an existing Apache server that I have already on the LAN?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers to documentation.

Glen

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Development environment setup question

Hi Glen,

I'm trying to make sure I understand you correctly.

All you need to do to get up and going to build a widget in Eclipse is to download and install the full installer of the BlackBerry Web Plug-in

It includes everything that you need.

Are you trying to create and debug a website or a Widget?  For a widget you will not need a Tomcat server.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter