Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Device memory is Low issue for an WebWork app

raj786 wrote:

Tim: I am sorry but that's like saying: "yea we know our car has brake pad issues and can only run for 5 minutes before the car shuts down, but heck we drove em BMWs and Toyotas as well, and sure enough the brake pads do eventually, after a while, run out as well! So nah we are not going to bother trying to fix our problem or even help you with coming up with a reasonable alternative."

iOS and Android both have thousands of apps that run Google Maps and do the job well enough that the apps are successful and used by millions of people. I mean if the above is really the excuse and that's the story you are going to sticking to, then I guess I don't have much else to say.

I wish I would have known about this earlier, and perhaps I should have continued building this in Java as oppposed to the WebKit, but then again my app wouldn't have worked on the BB10 phones. 

For the rest of the developers, will update as soon as I find a workable alternative.

konradz: I don't know if this helps in your particular case, but have you tried Leaftlet and/or maybe not using JQuery Mobile?

Hi raj786,

Please do not take my explaination as an excuse.. it isn't intended to be one.  

I'm simply trying to state that other operating systems have different ways of memory management and end up not giving you the same result as you see on BlackBerry.  When you run out of memory... you run out of memory.. 

On a BlackBerry there is a set amount of physical memory for applications using the Webkit engine.. when this is exceeded, applications can't do anything about it.  It is a physical limitation.

On the front of "fixing the problem"... Moving our core OS forward with PlayBook and BB10 brings a more modern memory architecture that resolves these shortcomings.

As for existing in-market BBOS smartphones, there's nothing I can do to increase the amount of physical memory available in the device for applications using Webkit.  The upper memory limitations are what they are, and your application will have to work within those limitations or move to a Java solution that doesn't include embedding a WebKit instance.  Java will also have an upper physical limit, but it is larger.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

I am at a loss of what to even reply to you with.

Waiting for BB10 is not an option, neither is moving to Java because then it won't work on BB10 lol. Those are not fixes. 

I guess I will just continue on my own and figure out an alternate solution to displaying dynamic maps that don't crash on BlackBerry phones and if it works, perhaps you will be kind enough to let other developers know of it before they try and build such applications on this platform. 

Thank you.

Retired

I wish I had better news for you... but as far as I know there is no fix for BlackBerry Smartphones to use Google Dynamic Maps API in a WebWorks app.  It simply exceeds the available memory.

If you do find an alternative memory concious dynamic mapping solution it would be great if you shared it with the community.  I just don't know of one off hand.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Orange

It's not problem with GIS software. It's problem with dynamic loading images (maybe whole content). I show you very simple example which cause crash. Nobody can't answer on it, you can restore this issue on devices with BB 6.0. 

Is any way to escalate problem to RIM or not. Maybe we should write example with BMW to RIMs investor community.

Retired

[ Edited ]

konradz wrote:

It's not problem with GIS software. It's problem with dynamic loading images (maybe whole content). I show you very simple example which cause crash. Nobody can't answer on it, you can restore this issue on devices with BB 6.0. 

Is any way to escalate problem to RIM or not. Maybe we should write example with BMW to RIMs investor community.

Hi konradz,

There hasn't been a reply on the other thread because the group hasn't been able to reproduce your issue yet.  There are people continuing to try and reproduce your issue as well as support many others with their questions in the community.

I'm not sure if your last comment was meant to be a threat or not.. The development group is working at trying to find a resolution to your problem if and when they can re-produce it.  All you're going to find here are people trying to help you as best they can.  Threats don't motivate those trying to help you.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

Absolutly is not Threat. If sth not happends after several iterations... Probably is the gap in the process and I only would like to help you to find motivation. Please tell me what can I provide you to help in reproduction. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: RIM

Hi tneil, I'm jumping in because I'm the one who posted the 'other' thread, if it means the one which demonstrates the memory issue while loading a large number of images (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Memory-leak-using-focused-based-... 

It's quite suprising for me that the team has been unable to reproduce this problem. That's because I've contacted Developer Support (through devsupport at rim), and a guy there was kind enough to take care of the problem, and at least reproduce it by himself.

Hi tested this one on a 9800 running 6.0.0.706 (I was using Bold 9780). Hi also said that the problem was also present in WW 2.3 (I'm runnig 2.2).

If you want me to give additional details, I'd be glad to. 

Retired

Unfortunately the link you posted is broken.. can you please paste it in again?

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tim: It is the thread which I described. The same.

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: RIM

Yes, the same. 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Memory-leak-using-focused-based-...

If you need more details, I can forward you the email thread with the guy at devsupport.