Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Virgin mobile

Directly access Trackpad directional input without Focus Based Nav

I am trying to find a way to access the trackpad directly without focus based navigation. I have an application that uses focus based navigation. it is a messaging system that has a fixed header then under that a scrollable div of messages. I currently use focus based navigation to move through this list. On a single page it works 'ok' there are issues with navigation judder when it scrolls. I set up a test bed to find out why.

This test bed uses a single focusable elemnet to represent the message and then it is repeated about 15 times so I have something to scroll through. When I scroll through it though it judders. even if I move slowly I can see this. what is happening is sometimes when the screen scrolls it does not change the focus to the next element down (it just scrolls it into view but remains on the item above. This is JUST using focus based nav, no JS or anything else.

I have also had huge issues with transfering between pages (using div hiding/showing). The navigation gets lost.

So I am thinking of rolling my own. Just trapping the trackpad movements and using jQuery to set focus. I already have an ID map of all the elements I need to move through so I can store it myself and control it myself, but I need a way of getting the trackpad movement info without focus based nav.

I have checked through the docs and API reference and can'y find anything.

Any help much appreciated.