Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Do We HAVE to Use bbUI.js or get REJECTED? Employee please answer?

[ Edited ]

I was just told by a fellow developer that our webworks apps developed for BB 10 have to use bbui.js and make use of title bars, action bars, and menus in order to not be auto-rejected.

Is a true warning?  Because we have converted our popular game over to webworks and everything works perfectly on the simulator as-is.  Our JS code conflicts with bbui's JS code so they cannot work together.  We have built our own in-game sliding menus and buttons using custom graphics and buttons that were developed for our company (costing $$ thousands), rather than using bbUI-style buttons or menus.  

Would this auto-disqualify our game to App World?  I've heard some conflicting experiences on this so I was hoping that a BB employee could lay it down once and for all Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

Re: Do We HAVE to Use bbUI.js or get REJECTED? Employee please answer?

Maybe it'd be needed to get accepted as a Built for Blackberry app, but otherwise, nope. And I am not sure if it's even a requirement for Built for Blackberry.

If a requirement, almost every single one of my apps would have been rejected, and I expect the majority of webworks apps in app world would have been denied too.

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

There may be some confusion as to meeting the bb ui guidelines and using bbui as the ui.  BBUI.js is a helpful framework like many others that will guarentee your app works across most BB devices.  It's not the only way to get an app through the system.

All apps are properly tested.  Although I'm not an employee so I can't answer for BB...

If it helped you, click like. Smiley Happy
Contributor
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

Ok gotcha. Thank you guys for the reassurance! No employee comment needed Smiley Happy

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

@lex_talionis: Well you're getting one anyways :-)

@poornamelessme and @The_Anomaly are right. BBUI.js is simply one UI framework that HTML5 developers can use in bringing their application to the BlackBerry World storefront. It is by no means a requirement for approval.

The Built For BlackBerry program has more strict requirements, but this program comes into play "after approval". After you're approved, you can choose to apply to the program or not. There, the teams are more strict on meeting BlackBerry 10 UI best practices and design. Disqualifying from Built for BlackBerry does not disqualify you from BlackBerry World; it is simply another designation that highlights applications built to provide the BlackBerry 10 experience to end users.

That being said, there are plenty of high-quality applications built with a large number of the frameworks available to web developers.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.