Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Do i require Blackberry Enterprise Server

Recently i developed a simple web application and deployed in the web server. Any one can connected to internet can access those application. I am going to build another web application (simple navigation pages) but this time user want limited access for the web application. Application should be deployed in corporate server behind firewall and only authorised users should be able to access the website. Do i require a BES here? I don't want to include BES as it will increase the cost for the customer. How can i give access to limited users without using BES? Please help.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Do i require Blackberry Enterprise Server

what your users want is user authentication.
this can be done with an external website, and a login/password like on Amazon or ebay. It is enough for authentication requirements.
you can also use a special URL for each user, known by him only (that's the way Google Calendar can work).

on the other hand, if the webserver has to be in the local network behind a firewall, then you have to find a way to move the BlackBerry device inside that firewall. This can be done only using BES.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

Hi ,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I want to know that if the webserver is in the coporate intranet behind firewall, then is there any way other than using BES to access the application from outside using blackberry?. Excuse me if this is sort of repeated question, but i just want to clear my doubt.

Thanks and Regards,

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

if the webserver is behind the firewall :

solution 1 you find a way to put the BlackBerry behind the firewall (= BES)

solution 2 you find a way to open the firewall just what is needed to make the webserver reachable from outside the firewall

If you replace your BlackBerry device by a Laptop, the issue remains the same.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
New Developer

Thanks Xandrex for your help Man Very Happy