Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Curve 2 8530 and PlayBook (soon)
My Carrier: Verizon

Encryption of .bar files?

I was reading some posts in the Adobe AIR forums that talked about the need to obfuscate code and/or deploy dynamic licensing to ensure that someone could not use .bar files obtained by HTML session sniffing without paying for them.  Based upon the conversations, the two following things could occur:

1) Someone intercepts the web traffic using sniffer software and obtains the .bar file.

2) The .bar file is opened and the .flv file is obtained. 

3) The .flv file is decompiled and the code is used in another applicaiton.

OR

1) Someone intercepts the web traffic using sniffer software and obtains the .bar file.

2) The .bar file is then installed onto a PlayBook using the command line tools without paying for a paid application.

My question is this:

How does using WebWorks with JavaScript, CSS, and HTML 5 change the above scenarios? 

Please let me know if I need to make this a clearer.

My Blog: DevGuy.org
My Apps: Dive Planner
1. Please give Kudos by clicking the Kudos star kudos star below the post that helped you..
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" that solved your issue.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Virgin Canada

Re: Encryption of .bar files?

I don't have any comments on intercepting the bar file as I would assume it would be the exact same as an air app.

But on the comment of deconstructing the bar file it is essentially a zip file. If you change the extension of your bar file to zip and unzip it all the code is right there. No security or encryption what so ever. Doesn't matter if it's code signed either it's still the exact same.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Yep, your code is out there up for grabs. Really disturbing if you've put many, many hours in your apps.

Mark Sohm has escalated this issue though so let's hope RIM will be on the ball and do something about this.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

I was disappointed when I found out that bbwp was nothing more than a packager. There is no compilation taking place. You're responsible to compile your JS beforehand. 

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.