Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Errors during compiling

So after installing the sdk, I finally was able to run bbwp for the sample app.  But I get this:

[INFO]       Parsing command line options
[INFO]       Parsing bbwp.properties
[ERROR]     Failed to find the tablet SDK

I do have the SDK installed, so why isn't it recognizing it?

Any ideas would be incredibly helpful!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Errors during compiling

Can you confirm there is a folder titled "blackberry-tablet-sdk" within the \bbwp location of the WebWorks SDK install location?

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks Packager for PlayBook\bbwp\blackberry-tablet-sdk

Have you setup any special system variables (e.g.  PATH) that may have changed the way that this SDK is found?

Finally - what OS are you using?

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Contributor

Yes, the "blackberry-tablet-sdk" folder exists in my blackberry webworks folder.  

I'm running OS X (snow leopard), so it's Applications/BlackberryWebworks/blackberry-tablet-sdk

I previously put the folder path of the blackberryWebworks folder in my Path ("open .profile" in terminal) as

export PATH=$PATH:/Applications/BlackberryWebworks/

export PATH=$PATH:/Applications/BlackberryWebworks/blackberry-tablet-sdk

but have since taken those out.  I have run the bbwp.properties and the installvariables.properties files that came with the sdk.  (i'm a newb when it comes to Path/terminal stuff, so should i have anything in there?)

Thanks for the help, astanley!

New Contributor

Does anybody have any suggestions?

My Device: Blackberry Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: N/A

Did you ever figure this issue out? I'm getting the same exact problem. I can't believe that the documentation actually has "for Mac Developers" in the title and yet uses DOS/Window command line examples.

I'm wondering if some special environment variables need to be set, but the docs so far don't mention anything.

$ ls
AirAppTemplates bin
InstallScript.iap_xml blackberry-tablet-sdk
SDK_license_English.txt ext
Uninstall BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for PlayBook.app installvariables.properties
bbwp
$ ./bbwp ~/Code/BBWW/sketchPadStandard.zip -o ~/Code/BBWW/output
[INFO]       Parsing command line options
[INFO]       Parsing bbwp.properties
[ERROR]     Failed to find the tablet SDK
$ lsAirAppTemplates binInstallScript.iap_xml blackberry-tablet-sdkSDK_license_English.txt extUninstall BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for PlayBook.app installvariables.propertiesbbwp$ ./bbwp ~/Code/BBWW/sketchPadStandard.zip -o ~/Code/BBWW/output[INFO]       Parsing command line options[INFO]       Parsing bbwp.properties[ERROR]     Failed to find the tablet SDK
Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: N/A

Hey gt00,

I actually just figured it out. Though, by now, I hope you did too. But for anyone else getting here by Googling the error message ...

When the packager is installed, it also writes out a properties file that contains the pathname to the SDK install location. Interestingly, the bbwp command is not in it's ./bin directory (but that's another story) - it's one level above it.

But, if you go into the bbwp/bin directory, there will be a bbwp.properties file. Interestingly, it's an XML file and not a flat properties file (but that's yet another story).

Use a text editor to modify that file. Find a line that looks like this:

<tablet_sdk>/Applications/Dev/BBPlayBook/bbwp/blackberry-tablet-sdk</tablet_sdk>
and change the directory path to point to the correct location.
To be extra careful, change to the SDK directory first and copy and paste the output of the `pwd` command to make sure you're getting it exactly:
$ pwd
/Applications/Dev/BBPlayBook/bbwp
$ cd blackberry-tablet-sdk/
$ pwd | pbcopy 
$ cd ..
$ vim .. bin/bbwp.properties