Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

Errors when installing/running BlackBerry WebWorks applications on BES-governed devices

[ Edited ]

I have a BlackBerry WebWorks application written and compiled using the Eclipse WebWorks development tools that does nothing, more or less, except launch to an external website - essentially nothing more than make a website look like a native application. All modifications are done to the config.xml file itself; no additional files are used.

This application works correctly on any normal BlackBerry device, however it fails to launch or install on the customer's corporate devices (those governed by BlackBerry Enterprise Server) with the following message:

MDS Service Unavailable: u75e

Through interactions with their IT personnel, I have determined that they have forbidden the use of MDS using BES to their people's devices and, if it is made available, the application installs and runs perfectly, however they do not want to enable it for all users.

My question is, does anyone know if MDS is an absolute requirement for running BlackBerry Webworks applications, or is there a way to instead use Internet browser services, which are available to their users' devices, and how would I indicate that in my config.xml file? I saw no mention of MDS being a requirement outside of the simulator in WebWorks documentation, and haven't seen this error encountered in many other places. It may also be possible that their BES is set up incorrectly and forcing the application to use MDS, and any insight on this would also be welcome.

I apologize for my ignorance on this matter; my specialty is web development and the BlackBerry Webworks application is simply an extension of that.

EDIT: This is a smartphone WebWorks application, not Playbook.

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

Re: Errors when installing/running BlackBerry WebWorks applications on BES-governed devices

I will bump this one time in the hope of getting a reply. I will not do so again to avoid cluttering the board.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Errors when installing/running BlackBerry WebWorks applications on BES-governed devices

The default transport selection is MDS.. however you can change your default transport order list using the config.xml file to not use MDS

details on your options are here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/27261/Widget_element_834671_11.jsp#RIM_connect...

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter