Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8350i
My Carrier: Nextel

Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments ?

Hi,

I am trying to generate my .code file from Ripple or msdos command, i am using this tutorial:

http://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/signing_your_smartphone_app_1919664_11.html

When i execute this command something is going wrong. I think to be some java error

"Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments"

Anyone ? Thanks

Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom SA

Re: Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments ?

This is an issue intruduced by a Java update which changed Runtime.exec. See: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/6u45-relnotes-1932876.html This is also applied in an updated to Java 7.

This affects the bbwp loader, specifically this java file: https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks/blob/master/packager/src/net/rim/tumbler/rapc/Rapc.java

The quick fix to this is to downgrade your JDK install to JDK 6u43 which can be found here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javasebusiness/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-41940...

The long fix would be to update that java file, rebuild the packager and distribute an updated version of WebWorks. 

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

The easy fix is to create a bars directory inside the SDK

Personally I use C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.4.11\dependencies\bars

Now ZIP up your source and move it into the bars directory

Assuming yours is in the same place as mine the bollowing does a build

..\..\bbwp <zipfile> -d -v -g <signing keys password> -b <buildId>

Note that the -d switch wants to be absent on production builds - it switches on Web Inspector

This can sit in a batch file - mine's called build.bat and that contains

..\..\bbwp %1 -d -v -g <signing key password> -b %2

With that all you need is....

build <zipfile> <buildId>

Similarly for a device / simultor install

..\tools\bin\blackberry-deploy -installApp -device <ip of device/simulator> -password <device password - not needed for simulator> <device|simulator>\<appname>.bar

Again this fits nicely in a batch file as the only thing that changes regularly is <appname>

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
New Contributor

Hey buddy, thanks for support

You mean, update Rapc.class in /SDKversion/bin/ correct ?

After the downgrade i'm trying netbeans IDE to update the java file

Thanks !

Contributor

Hi,

So you have downgraded Java and can now build correctly? I downgraded and also needed to update C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5\bin\bbwp.properties and my environment variables (PATH, JAVA_HOME) to point to the older JDK and everything built correctly.

As far as fixing the packager I never got to that, just figured out where the problem lay. You would need to import the packager (https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks/tree/master/packager) into Eclipse or similar, fix the problem, and then replace the binaries in C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5\bin

Hope that helps clear things up.

Cheers
Developer

Err - are we in the right forum? This is WebWorks and builds are rather different here

I can tell you without question that the guide I gave works flawlessly - I use the batch files many times a day

Sadly it's only any use for WebWorks

There is a seperate Java forum here and the Testing and Deployment is also invaluable so try that as well

Anyone else reading this - step up a level to Developer Support and pick something to read from there cos there are a lot of other really superb resurces you may not know about (I spent a year here before I tried it)

Contributor

Peardox have you updated your Java Runtime and JDK to the latest version (either 6u45 or 7u21)? The latest version includes a change to Runtime.exec which breaks the WebWorks build process (specifically C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK 2.3.1.5\bin\bbwp.jar).

For the adventurous I was suggesting trying to fix this issue as the source for WebWorks is publicly available.
Developer

Ahh - cos of the very Java specific mention in your Q I replied on assumption

To answer I have jdk1.7.0_17 and it works without any issues at all (32 bit Cordova is a different problem though)

Soz about the mis-understanding

I would try the following steps assuming WebWorks is the desired end result

1) Uninstall Java

2) Downoad 17 JDK from here

3) Install

4)  Reboot

5) Try a build

Admittedly this brings you to an earlier JDK than is current but at least it works

I would NOT not recommend this solution (potential as is may be) for anyone who uses Java on a regular basis or does builds for Android on the same dev machine

New Contributor

ngoossens as you suggested I already downgrade properly but after update Rapc file, I have had other problems, like this:

Some java errors.

I had used others jdk version, like 7 and updates but like you mentioned, the build not works

have you jdk1.6.0_43 jdk version ? 

Contributor

Hi luanhaddad,

Sorry but I havn't seen this error before. My suggestion would be to try the following:

1. Uninstall Java (JDK and JRE)

2. Uninstall WebWorks

3. Update all environment variables to remove Java paths e.g PATH, JAVA_HOME

4. Reboot

5. Reinstall Java (but this time just 6u43)

6. Reinstall WebWorks

7. Add the appropriate paths to your environment variables

8. Retry your build

Everything is working well on my side with Java 6u43.

Best of luck!