Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-07-2011
My Device: ..
My Carrier: ..

Failed to find application archive

Hi everyone,

 

I'm a newbie in BB development. Normally I use Microsoft tech. for development and download the WebWorks plugin for MS Visual Studio. I've created a new BB project and build it without any changes. And I got the following error: "Failed to find application archive".

 

I googled it but nothing come across. How can i get over this error?

 

The versions of software i'm using:

MS Visual Studio 2008

BB WebWorks SKD v.2.0.0.18

BB WebWork Plugin for VS v.2.5.1.1

JDK SE 6 Update 26

 

Thanx,

 

Retired
Posts: 3,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Failed to find application archive

Can you post up your version of Windows?  and if it is 32 or 64 bit?

 

Also, for your Java JDK, did you download and install the 32 or 64bit version?

 

Can you also post up where your application project is stored on your disk?  

 

I'm just wondering if you are running into a Windows 7 protected folder issue.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-07-2011
My Device: ..
My Carrier: ..

Re: Failed to find application archive

Hi Tim,

 

My OS is 64 bit Windows 7.

 

My JDK is a 64 bit version.

 

The storage path of the project is standard VS 2008 project like this: C:\Users\User_Name\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\BlackBerryWebWorks1

 

I'm not running any restrictions like protection on folders.

 

Thanks for your interest,

Retired
Posts: 3,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Failed to find application archive

You will need to install the 32bit version of the JDK.. The 32 bit version is a specified requirement for the SDK and tooling.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-07-2011
My Device: ..
My Carrier: ..

Re: Failed to find application archive

Hi Tim,

 

I also tried that version but still the same error in first build.

 

I downloaded the 32 bit version from this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-6u26-download-400750.html 

 

I've download Windows x86 one with link name: jdk-6u26-windows-i586.exe

 

Any ideas?

Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-23-2011
My Device: Any blackberry device
My Carrier: any carrier

Re: Failed to find application archive

Hi,

 

we had the exact same error with Ripple on Mac OsX.

 

We discovered the issue by looking in the source code: https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks

 

I downloaded the source code and used git grep to find the error message.

 

git grep 'Failed to find application archive'

 

I discovered the error code was "EXCEPTION_WIDGET_ARCHIVE_NOT_FOUND", you can see it here:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks/blob/master/packager/src/net/rim/tumbler/log/resources/Messag...

 

And looking for that I found that that exception was raised in SessionManager:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks/blob/master/packager/src/net/rim/tumbler/session/SessionManag...

 

it was trying to see if a file existed, and if not exist throw an exception.

So I followed the java call hierarchy to understand what was the file it wasn't finding.

 

And I ended up in CmdLineHandler:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks/blob/master/packager/src/net/rim/tumbler/CmdLineHandler.java

 

The file is the project root directory. I kinda guessed it by the file names and comments in code.

 

And OUR issue was caused by the fact that we have set up mac osx to use CASE SENSITIVE filesystem and the code was doing a .toLowerCase() on the file path (line 79 in the commit I'm looking):

 

// Get first param - exception case: /h
String input1 = inputParams[ 0 ].toLowerCase().trim();

 

 

So I moved the project and output directory in a path that was ALL lower case, out of /User directory for instance...

 

/blackberry/myproject

/blackberry/output

 

Then I modified the setting in Ripple to use those directory path as root project dir and output: I received other errors (.gitignore is an invalid file in my case...) but that one was gone, it had moved on and was actually looking to the project files.

 

This problably should merit a bug report and I think I gave enough information to produce one, can't spend any more time on this.

 

For future references, the code may change, I'm talking about the situation at this commit:

 

commit c5c40489f25b4098dd10e9cb856d96273ea3df64
Merge: 306ce7f 1352a61
Author: Ken Wallis <kwallis@rim.com>
Date: Tue Feb 21 07:58:29 2012 -0800

Merge pull request #96 from blackberry-webworks/master

The 2.3.1 version of the BB SDK for Smartphone