Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

FledgeHook removed from latest SDK

I just downloaded and installed the latest WebWorks SDK (v2.1.0.24) and noticed that the FledgeHook.exe and FledgeHook.dll are no longer installed. Were these intentionally removed?  If so, are they really no longer required?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: FledgeHook removed from latest SDK

They were intentionally removed... They were in the previous 2.0 install because 2.0 was still compatible with the WebWorks Plug-ins for Eclipse/Visual Studio.  Since 2.1 is not compatible with those plug-ins per the End Of Life announcement, they were removed to further reduce download size and complexity to the install.

The plug-ins used Fledgehook to launch the simulators.  Fledge hook specifically was used in these tools for when you were running on a 64bit OS and launching a 5.0 simulator.  Most all 5.0 simulators have a problem when you close them on 64 bit windows operating systems.  You need to kill the task in the task manager.

Fledge hook inserted code into the simulator process so that when a user closed the simulator, it would end the task for you so that you wouldn't experience this problem when using our plug-ins.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

So if I'm launching 5.0 simulators on the command line (outside of eclipse/VisualStudio) on 64bit Windows, FledgeHook is not necessary to manage the lifecycle of the simulator properly?

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

It is not "Required" to be able to run BB5 simulators on 64bit operating systems.  It needed to be launched in a particular way at a specific time during the launch and running process of the simulator.

We have removed it for the time being.  As we bring simulator launching capability into Ripple, it may find its way back into the SDK.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I'll look to have FledgeHook removed from the Ant build scripts in PhoneGap.  Currently its used in a build target to launch the simulator.  Its failing with the latest WebWorks SDK since it is no longer installed.