Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

FruitBat 1.5: Package & Install WebWorks Apps for Tablet OS

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone--

FruitBat is a free development helper application for Mac OS and Windows (built with AIR 3.3) that provides a GUI for theTablet OS AIR SDK and BlackBerry WebWorks command line tools. It has been around for a while, but used mostly for AIR development. The latest update is revamped with solid WebWorks support and addresses many incinsistencies with the WebWorks support in the past version, if you've used it before.

Basic use (steps 1 and 2 only required once):

1. Download and install the WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS being sure to edit bbwp.properties and the Tablet OS descriptor template inside of the SDK.
  2. On first run, in the FruitBat Settings/Preference window, choose a Launch Target, fill in the Tablet OS SDK Location (this can be a separate install or the version that is combined into the WebWorks SDK during installation), WebWorks SDK Location and information about your simulator and/or tablet hardware. The other settings are optional unless you want to use FruitBat's Publish menu, which includes commands to package and sign, work with debug tokens, etc.
  3. Drag and drop a WebWorks config.xml file in the FruitBat window (or use ctrl/cmd+o to open a file select dialog)
  4. Make sure your tablet or simulator is in Development Mode and click "Package and Install" -- FruitBat will handle the rest.

When you're ready to switch apps, drop in a new config file and you're all set. Everything is automatic.

Also, the Simulator/Tablet option is a "live" option, so you can change it without having to save and close the Settings/Preferences window, so you can switch between the two easily at a moment's notice.

To see what Fruitbat is doing, use the Console window. It can be toggled in the app's File menu on Windows, the app's main menu on Mac or the Console button in the footer of the main window (beside the settings/preferences button).

Main Page with more instructions, details and help: http://www.studiochris.us/software/fruit-bat/

FruitBat 1.5 Announcement & Change Log: http://www.studiochris.us/2012/fruitbat-1-5-update-available/

FruitBat also includes support for Adobe AIR apps using the Tablet OS 2.0 AIR SDK. NDK, Android packager and smartphone SDKs are not supported at this time. WebWorks for BlackBerry 10 has not been tested, but if it is similar enough to the Tablet SDK and uses the same commands for packaging, it could possibly work. If enough people show interest in the tool, I'll look into including BlackBerry 10 in a future update.

If you give it a try, I'd love to hear your thoughts and definitely let me know if you run into any bugs.

Enjoy-

Chris