Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: 8520

Frustrating: Where can i find a working COMPLETE installation für Eclipse with WebWorks for Tablet?

[ Edited ]

I wasted days with searching for that setup i need to get a running environment for Webworks tablet edition... Still no success...

There are several downloads on multiple pages, but nothing complete....

Where can i find a workind download linkk? Not technically working for download, but working after installation?

I installed all needed SDKs... but i cant find any information about integrating them into eclipse! Any description by rim says: click instal--- ok... ok .. done... i did it, but nothing is done. I want to work, not to serach!

Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Software Developer

Re: Frustrating: Where can i find a working COMPLETE installation für Eclipse with WebWorks for Tablet?

Hi,

You can download the SDK from here:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/download/sdk

There is no eclipse plugin for Tablet SDK I here from. The best practice to develop your app is to do it like you would code a web application. To test your app use ripple. I think there is an eclipse version for web developement. I use Visual Studio for this. You can deploy your app with a batch file.

Take a look at this:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/ww_getting_started/What_Is_A_WebWorks_App_18...

This will answer some question.

best regards

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Re: Frustrating: Where can i find a working COMPLETE installation für Eclipse with WebWorks for Tablet?

Levion is right.

- You don't need Eclipse to create a WebWorks App - just use whatever you would use to create a .html (+CSS/JavaScript). Even Notepad would be enough as there is hardly any 'great' environment to create web content

- The Ripple Emulator is the best way to test your app (which technically is still a webpage) - personally I use the Ripple Chrome Extension for that because the installation didn't work Smiley Tongue. Open your web page with Chrome, right-click, show in Ripple. You can swap between Tablet and other devices, and you can emulate using GPS or whatever

- Lastly, you have to package your web content as app for deployment - after you downloaded the SDK (the one with the bbwp) you can package your files via command line, or write yourself a batch file to do that for you.

And that's it. In fact, all you really HAVE to download is the SDK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Hello,

The Eclipse Plug-in for WebWorks is no longer supported. Recommend using Ripple + WebWorks SDK to do your BlackBerry development.

If you wish to continue to use Eclipse, you are certainly welcome to do so for authoring Web project content.  Suggest configuring Eclipse to launch the Chrome browser when you build/launch your Web project.  Once launched, you can enable Ripple and build your app from there using the WebWorks SDK.

Cheers,

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

No longer supported? Thats a joke?

How do you sugest to debug with writing to the console (you can do this easily on windows 8 JavaScript developing), how shoud a set stop-marks???

I expected a step forward, not two steps back! Developing in Notepad is so 80s, i can't belive that this should be the preferred way.

If you are unable to provide a ide, why the hell you dont support standard ide's?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Web inspector is the answer:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/ww_testing/Web_inspector_overview_1553586_11...

The Ripple extension for Chrome is VERY powerful for debugging web content.  Far more than the WebWorks plug-in for Eclipse ever was.  You can set breakpoints in your JavaScript and step through your code quite easily.

In fact, the end-of-life announcement for the WebWorks plug-in for Eclipse occured almost 1 year ago (June 2011).  Since then, there have been significant advances in the quality and capability of the WebWorks development tools:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/06/blackberry-webworks-tooling-evolved/

Note: you can use whatever development environment you want to produce the content for your app (Notepad, Eclipse, Visual Studio, Dreamweaver, etc).  However, Ripple + WebWorks SDK is how you test, compile and sign your apps.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Software Developer

FriFra wrote:

How do you sugest to debug with writing to the console (you can do this easily on windows 8 JavaScript developing), how shoud a set stop-marks???

I expected a step forward, not two steps back! Developing in Notepad is so 80s, i can't belive that this should be the preferred way.

If you are unable to provide a ide, why the hell you dont support standard ide's?

I am never joking while I am coding! This is war Smiley Tongue

If you use Visual Studio (just an example) it's no problem to debug JavaScript (break points, watch variables ...). If you want to run you app in Ripple because you integrated some device specific stuff you can debug in ripple (I would suggest to learn something about this tool).

To deploy your app to the tablet create a batch file and (this is what i did) integrate it in visual studio to get a "one-click" deployment.

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

FriFra wrote:

There's no reason to get offensive, even if you are frustrated. I know many developers that still use Notepad or TextMate as equivalent in OSX, because all you do is create .html files. For more functionality, create JavaScript files. And even if there's no 'best' choice, like the others said, try using Chrome. You still write your code normally, and if you want to debug, it's just setiing your breakpoints and pressing F5 for reloading a page :? You don't even need to compile, so it's faster than anything that needs to be compiled

Anyhow, I can only repeat: it's JUST web content. JUST web content. What did you use before to create web content (html, css, js)? And how did you debug your web content before? You can still use that, and then package afterwards with the SDK

Or, if you want to program with a real IDE and deploy and stuff like that, there's always the possibility with C/C++(NDK), AS3 (AIR) or Java (Android Packager)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Contributor

I like to ise Eclipse, because of automated code formatting, code completion and so on. To sugest using notepad IS a joke. Sometimes i use the notepad, if nothing other is available, but why should i? The other point is this commandline stuff. Why is rim unable or not willing to provide a fully featured ide that runs out of the box WITHOUT of creating individual batches the make it run half that good than other environments does out of the box. I woul be quiet, if only a gui version would be shipped with that commandline stuff... Notto talk about that anoing signing procedure today... Why not that easy like for java bb apps?

If you google for WebWorks Eclipse plugin you will be pointed to various rim sites with installation descriptions, but the installer always "fails" because its no longer there... You wont find any hint for this on that sites. I persolally did not hear about the end of support and only a single hint on this "old" rim sites would have saved me a lot of time and nerves. In fact, you can read how to setup the eclipse plugin, but on clicking the download link you will be redirected to ripple with no hint why...

Im not interrested in bringing the environment to run, i want to code! I whish there where a single installer read to run just after installing - is that too much?
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now i found d documentation, where you can find all needed downloads at one place:

http://www.howto.gov/sites/default/files/mobile-platform-blackberry-devloper-guide.pdf

I stick to it, it's a big step back in time... Modern development environments usualy combine all this stand alone tools in one environment. Eclipse would be an ideal platform for this, regardles, what tools are running in the backgound.

Ripple is not bad and always good for a first look, but i saw many differences in details of handling html/css content to the real device and so i prefer debugging on a real device or a simulator... from this view, i would'nt really need ripple.

Im absolutely clear, that ith JUST web content, but why souldnt i use an ide for this, especially packaging, deploying and debugging? Have a look on microsoft (i normally hate it Smiley Wink ), but they have done a really good job with their windows 8 development environment.

Im not fixed to any ide, but to suggest notepad sounds really strange today Smiley Wink