Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Getting Start... what's needed?

[ Edited ]

With all the new updates, and different methods of developing BB App a newbie like myself can become a little confused as to what to use. So my question is what is needed, let me tell you a little be about what I I want to develop.

I'm looking to develop a search type app that will work along with my website where the user can login, search for things, have the results appear within the app, save data etc. So basically anything that would be done within a Web Browser I want done within the app.

1. I know that the new Web Plugin and Widget will allow this, am I correct? So its an actual webpage but inside an app so the user never leaves the app correct?

• BlackBerry Web Plug-in v2.0 Beta 1
  • BlackBerry Widget SDK v1.0 Beta 2
  • - with the Widget SDK its telling me to install Sun Java 1.6, so does that mean I will not need VS 2008 to create my web apps? 

- i went to the java site and the latest is java 6, so do I get that version http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp#jdk which one do you recommend?

2. I'll be using Visual Studio 2008, is this the correct app to use for building this type of application?

3. Simulators I'll need this, which link allows me to download everything

4. Compiling and app again which files do I download.

5. Sample apps, I went to the sample section and all I saw was html and pdf files

I can already code in vb, c, html, xml, some javascript... so I well appear and know how to write code I just need to know what things to download. There is just so much stuff and yesterday I spent over 2hrs just going in and out of the download areas filling out download forms, looking at html and pdf files and at the end i'm still confused. would be nice if everything was grouped together a little bit better.

So any help would be appericated

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Getting Start... what's needed?

You dont need all the Plugins and Stuff, but they will make it easyer to develop and to debug your JavaScript Code.

Best is, to take a look at these documentation:

Try one or two of the examples. They will help you to understand how the Apps work.