Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Guess I know now why my app isn't getting approved...

settimeout is used all the time to run the animations. Between frames. This includes the intro animation which ... runs fine Smiley Happy

Also important to note: This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it just randomly decides to work fine.

I guess I'll try redownloading the ISO next.

This just doesn't make any sense.

Developer

did the app work consistently on the person's vm who tested it for you?

Contributor

Yes he said he didn't experience any of the things I described.

Also like I said before, the app had ZERO issues on 0.9.3.

This is why I refuse to believe any of my code is at fault here...

Even if there is something wrong with my code, how can it RESTART the app? It should just not work right or throw errors in firebug right?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

ok for some reason the forum flipped back to my defunct facebook-linked account :s

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: VZW

Ok - I'm with you - has to be unique to your VM.   In my case I think it was the way I was using it, since a lot of people apparently can use settimeout fine without issues - in my case changing to setinterval literally took an unstable app and fixed it.  It also failed consistantly though if given enough time.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Yeah It would be nice if the webworks/tablet devs came on here, it could be something like a memory limit. but i would recommend giving the idea of logging to the db since it persists through app restarts

something like

$("#yourbutton").click(function(event){
try { 
your function that outputs the scroller, or whatever the button onclick does
} catch(e) {
  console.log('error: ' + e);
  //add some code to write to db
  event.stopPropagation();
}
});

Contributor

I think I've figured it out. The crashing occurs when the on-screen keyboard is present!!!!!!

When I first lower the keyboard by pressing the keyboard icon in the bottom left and then hit the 'scream it' button everything works fine! 

I'm wondering now if other people can reproduce this?

For now I'm going with the assumption that this is a simulator bug. Now that I finally know this I can at least circumvent it.

Thanks everyone who tried to help!

Developer

yep now that you mention it, when i open the keyboard to input text into firebug it sometimes goes all flickery and messes up the screen pretty badly, but it only appears with firebug, when i input text in other text areas it hasn't yet flipped out on me, i assumed this was due to firebug because im not having any app reload issues, but yeah i can confirm wonkyness with the keyboard in firebug for sure

Contributor

In fact, in 0.9.4 with firebug enabled the app doesn't restart when i press 'scream it!' like in the video, it goes all bonkers. the screen flashes a few times and then goes black, leaving only the small firebug button in place. At that point all I can do is swipe up, close the app and start it again.

Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

TheMarco33 wrote:

I think I've figured it out. The crashing occurs when the on-screen keyboard is present!!!!!!

When I first lower the keyboard by pressing the keyboard icon in the bottom left and then hit the 'scream it' button everything works fine! 

I'm wondering now if other people can reproduce this?

For now I'm going with the assumption that this is a simulator bug. Now that I finally know this I can at least circumvent it.

Thanks everyone who tried to help!

When i setfocus on the entry field, the keyboard comes up. But when i click Scream it button, the keyboard disappears and the animation runs fine.. I am guessing if you have a slower machine there may be some kind of timing issue causing the simulator to barf like that...