Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HTML5 audio support

Do I need physical hardware to test HTML5 audio support on Blackberry devices? I'm having a hard time testing it with the software simulators.

I see in the release notes that HTML5 audio is a known problem from the Fusion ISO image of the PlayBook tablet simulator. At least it is stated and confirmed that you need real hardware to test there at the moment.

What about the "phone" simulators? I'm trying on the Torch 9800 simulator to play not only my HTML5 audio examples but also several well known examples online. I can't get any of them to work. I *can* get audio from Youtube videos to play via the browser so I know the speakers are on and "working." 

I cannot find any confirmation one way or the other about the Torch 9800 simulator running OS 6. Is this a secretly "known issue" that HTML5 audio does not work on the Torch 9800 simulator?

I read a post on the Sencha Tost blog that said that HTML5 audio was excellent on the Torch but video was poor. They were using real hardware I imagine.

So to sum up... Do you think I can post my HTML5 games that use HTML5 audio to the App World and have a fighting chance of it working on "real" hardware? or is it too flaky even on OS 6 and I need to wait a bit longer to target Blackberry Phones?

Many thanks,

-- Aaron

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Simulator

Re: HTML5 audio support

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat here!  Can someone please post an audio example that will work with the actual device - PlayBook for me...

Thank-you

--------------------------------------
ABC Trace for BlackBerry PlayBook
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Don't know about Torch, but I can say for sure that the latest release of the PB simulator broke sound completely. You can try to use the .9.2 realease. Based on past history, it seems like the PB sim and SDK release is on a monthly (ish) schedule so I'm expecting a new PB sim and SDK soon.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

The release notes say that 0.93 simulator for Playbook does not have audio nor video working. I saw a post stating that it has to do with licensing. 

But what about the Torch simulator? I can't find any mention of if it is supposed to support HTML5 audio. The simulator does play youtube audio and video but in my tests of HTML5 audio I can't get anything to come out. 

Does someone know of an HTML5 audio example that can be played in the Torch simulator?

Many thanks,

-- Aaron

New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: ATT

I tried playing some HTML5 sites in the Curve Simulator and in the actual device and they did not work.

http://www2.nihilogic.dk/labs/canvas_music_visualization/

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

I use HTML5 audio in my app 'Scientific RPN Calculator' for keyboard audio feedback so I can confirm it works. That said, it's laggy as hell so I wouldn't expect too much if you want to use it for game sound effects. The latency is ... well ... not so great. That said, I have the same latency issues in Chrome on the desktop so I suppose HTML audio is only useful for playing one file like a song or something on a page.

I'm personally planning on trying to use Flash for the sound in my app, maybe that will be able to play it without the annoying lag.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App