Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9800 & Blackberry Playbook OS 2.1
My Carrier: EE

Help Required To Build/Sign App and Question

Hey Guys,

I haven't updated one of my applications in a while and so I thought it was long overdue that I update it. I've spent the past few days providing and building updates into the app but i've tried to build it and sign it.. but for some reason it keeps throwing up this error, (i have tried cmd but this is the gui version)

does anyone know how I can fix this? I'm fairly new to app development and don't really understand the full jargon.

Also, I have a few questions:

• are the tools fully compatible with 'Windows 8'?
  • can i design an alternative page for the mobile bb10 launch, so same app but different pages load for different apps?
  • why can't i get the ripple emulator in 'Chrome' to activate the build services? I click on it but it does nothing?

Thanks for reading my post, I'm sorry if things have already been posted but it made sense to make one post containing all my issues.

Anique Rehman
-- New App Developer; WebWorks
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Help Required To Build/Sign App and Question

I know that some of the tools do not yet work in Windows 8. If I find out more details, I'll let you know, but a friend bought a Windows 8 computer and had to downgrade it to Windows 7 to do his BB10 development. I would think that there shouldn't be a problem with the Ripple emulator, but there may be problems elsewhere.

As for an "alternative page for the BB10," if you're talking about a different description or images in the BlackBerry World store, you can have different ones for BB10 and for Playbook and for BBOS 5 to 7. I'm not sure if that was what you were asking.

For the problems building in Ripple, did you fill in all the required settings under the "Settings" button?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Neilwick,

Firstly, thanks for the reply, means alot!

Installing the 'WebWorks' SDK prompted errors on install anyway which were easily overriden by changing the compatability settings to 'Windows7'. However, what's the use if I cant do the 'compiling' aspect. :/

As for the 'Ripple' issues, I entered the SDK location, filled in all the details regarding 'project' etc.. however the 'services' just dont want to switch on. I've repeatedly pressed the button and waited but the outcome is the same it just doesn't do anything.

I thought I may have better look with the 'Tablet OS Graphical Aid' but as you can see in the image above... it didn't really turn out well. I really don't know what to do, I only have access to 'Windows8' I would have thought since 'Blackberry' would have attempted to fix the issues (if any) for Windows 8 - but, then again it is a fairly new operating system and you can't really hold that against them.

Hmm.

Anique Rehman
Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

Afraid I can't be of much help, but if it is a Win 8 issue, perhaps set it up in a VM instead?

If you have a copy of Win XP, you could install that, or go with Linux (I think a Linux flavor of webworks exists). If you have the BB10 simulator already installed, you'll have VMware Player anyway. I realize that sounds like a pain, but just mentioning it if Win 8 is in fact the culprit, and there is no other solution. I guess you could always downgrade (I'd call it an upgrade) back to Win 7, too.

I wasn't aware of that Tablet OS Graphical Aid thingy before your post. Installed it and it looks sort of neat, but I wish it was a bit more customizable (*squints at tiny fonts*). It doesn't seem to pay any attention to windows dpi settings.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Windows 8 is not fully supported for BlackBerry development yet. We are working on it. 

However everything "should" be ok if you run your applications with Windows 7 compatiblity mode enabled. That includes Chrome to use Ripple. 

When using the WebWorks tablet SDK you need to make sure you are running the 32 bit version of Java 6. You can download that here - http://www.java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp 

"can i design an alternative page for the mobile bb10 launch, so same app but different pages load for different apps?"

- Yes but you will need to submit seperate packages to BlackBerry World.

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Trusted Contributor

The compiling and deploying to the device runs in a command-line window, so it's critical that that runs in compatibility mode, as I understand it.
New Contributor

Thank you everyone for your support, its one of the reasons why I love developing for this platform, I will attempt what's been discussed on this thread and will update you to if it was a failure or success.

Anique Rehman
New Contributor

Okay guys,

I reinstalled the java package using the link provided, ran the tool in compatibility mode for 'Windows 7' and tried to build the app again and it throw the same error back at me?

Hmm.. any other advice guys?

Anique Rehman
New Contributor

Just wondered whether anyone had come up with a solution? or was willing to help sign the app?

Thanks,

Anique Rehman
Trusted Contributor

I don't have a Windows 8 system to test it on, but I think you need to have 3 things in compatibility mode: Chrome, the Command Line Window, and possibly the Ripple plug-in. I can't think of any other suggestions.

I suppose someone could probably sign your app for you if they had your signing key and the password for it, but that doesn't seem an ideal way to do it.