Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How can i watch .flv videos online with my blackberry?

I cant watch any .flv files on my blackberry, do you know any way i can get them to play? can i download flash player? im using a blackberry 8330 w/ v4.3.0.127
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How can i watch .flv videos online with my blackberry?

The BlackBerry Browser does not support Flash content.  There is no Flash player for BlackBerry devices.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer

will there ever be one? or is there a way to convert the flv file with my blackberry so i can watch the video on my phone?
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

cyguy8 wrote:
is there a way to convert the flv file with my blackberry so i can watch the video on my phone?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=General_Functions&thread.id=2898&jump...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer

Does BB have a serve or an MMS gateway that does this? I ask both to find out if it exists and if I could make

a good transocding demo that actually fills a need. I don't want to put flash on BB after finally taking it off

of my desktop and I planned on doing a pdf transcode with xpdf programs I've used ffmpeg , I thought

it was under linux IIRC, and could probably do something useful here.

Guru I

some websites do that. Like BlueApple :
http://www.vuclip.com/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer

I am sure it has been asked a thousand times, but why...WHY won't Blackberry support Flash, or any other media files for that matter?  Is this a matter of development or policy, does RIM intentionally filter all web traffic to prevent active content of any kind from entering a Blackberry device?  Is there no other way?  I've dreamed of owning a Blackberry for years but now wonder if it will ever have better media capabilities?  Is iPhone, gPhone or WM6 the only other answer?

Guru I

avivaldi wrote:

I am sure it has been asked a thousand times, but why...WHY won't Blackberry support Flash, or any other media files for that matter?  Is this a matter of development or policy, does RIM intentionally filter all web traffic to prevent active content of any kind from entering a Blackberry device?  Is there no other way?  I've dreamed of owning a Blackberry for years but now wonder if it will ever have better media capabilities?  Is iPhone, gPhone or WM6 the only other answer?

I think the most problematic issue is the bandwidth. Do you know that some providers limit the bandwidth even of the mobile phone is 3G capable ? There is a very concrete reason : the bandwidth is not taken by P2P at all, but by online videos !

here is why :

when you do internet and P2P, you have a good download speed, but a lousy upload speed. That's true for cable and for ADSL. And yes, remember what ADSL means : Asymmetric DSL. Meaning you can download fast but not upload fast. Very few people have SDSL (Symmetric DSL). so what can deliver a huge bandwith ? Professionnals. That is, Youtube, Dailymotion, Metacafé and other video websites.

All carriers are aware of that, and so are the people that make mobile phone hardware. That's why you will never see a Flash support on browsers on mobile phone.

You don't with the iPhone, and you don't with the Blackberry, and you don't with the Google Phone. You do have Flash lite on WinMo and on Symbian though.

So, how can you get those online videos on your device ? Well, you just have to use regular streaming. That's what Youtube and others do for iPhone and Blackberry (provided you have OS 4.5 or later).

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ATnT

Re: How can i watch .flv videos online with my blackberry TORCH ?????

Please help..

How to watch flv videos with my TORCH ?

Guru I

Re: How can i watch .flv videos online with my blackberry TORCH ?????

ganeshdore wrote:

How to watch flv videos with my TORCH ?

hello,

if it's a streamed video on a website, you have to use the BlackBerry application if available, or the mobile website if available. Otherwise, you can try installing the BOLT browser that has partial support for streamed videos.

if it is a file on your computer, then you will need to convert the FLV video into a video format supported by the Torch (for example MP4). If you need information about that, you can find previous discussions in the forum about AKKME ffmpeg or MediaCoder or Handbrake, which is my favourite.