Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

How do you turn a website into an app?

I am trying to take this link: http://wap.milb.com/t549/ and turn it into a Blackberry (and potentially Android) app.

I've downloaded the Blackberry SDK for Tablet OS for Mac.  I've completed the step by step guides and have successfully deployed the SketchPad app example on the Playbook. I just can't seem to turn a website into an app.

Is there a command for Terminal, or an easier way that you can provide me with that will enable me to take http://wap.milb.com/t549 and turn it into an app?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do you turn a website into an app?

Well, in your config.xml you could change the 'source' from index.html (or whatever the local file is called) to that address (not the shortened version, but the real link) and then it'll display that page. Is that what you intend to do?

Also you would have to setup permissions to access that domain and all of its subdomains in the config.xml similar to this:

<access uri="http://www.blackberry.com" subdomains="true"/>  

But I assume you would need permission to distribute access to the website in app form. Also, can't you just access that from the browser instead of needing an app for it?

--------------------------------------
PlayBook Apps: EveryDay Converter
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve
My Carrier: TIM

And you will need a sign certificate, and all follow all the normal process of building application.
Also, you can put icon, splash screen and so on.. Smiley Happy
It's simple.
Márcio Saeger - Software Engineer, Softwell Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Okay, so in the config file I've changed the content source to point to "t549.html" (just putting the web link in there didn't work in the simulator).

I've successfully made the link into an "app" in the simulator. The problem I'm having now is that whenever I click on any of the links, I get an error message saying I can't connect to the network. 

I've tried using inspect element to get the javascript files from the website into the config file so the app can function properly, but it's still not working.  It seems like I should just be able to input a url and have the app work like the website, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Are there any additional steps I need to take in order to turn the link into an app?  Or is there anything I can post here to show you exactly what I'm talking about?

Btw, the reason why I want to turn a website into an app is to provide an easy gateway to fans.  No one really remembers to go to wap.milb.com/t549. It simplifies things just to click on an icon on the home screen.

Thanks for the responses!