Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

How is "Press and Tap" different from discrete "Press" and "Tap" gestures?

I have been working with the wireframes powerpoint slides to do mock ups of my UI and came across a gesture icon for "press and tap" distinct from "press" and "tap".

I see references to "press and tap" here in the Native documentation:

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/bb10/com.qnx.doc.gestures.lib_ref/topic/about_press...

but for someone with my limited programming ability, I would like to know what "press and tap" is, if I define as "press and hold your finger in place for a moment so that perhaps a popup list of options appears", possibly analagous to a "secondary mouse click" on a desktop OS platform, and a tap is just a normal brief touch of an object, analagous to a "primary mouse click".

Is there a document that defines all the gestures available to WebWorks apps that might either define this and state explicitly if it is supported?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: How is "Press and Tap" different from discrete "Press" and "Tap" gestures?

It's rather unfortunately named. IMO a press is longer than a tap, so the name doesn't make sense. It should be called "tap and hold". That means tap, then touch again but leave your finger on the screen. As far as I know, this gesture isn't used on BB10.

A gesture that is frequently used is press and hold, i.e. touch an item and leave your finger on the screen. This is normally used to call up a context menu for the item you touch, similar to right-click with a mouse.

Besides the UI guidelines page on gestures, I don't think very much is documented. Webworks provides little out-of-the-box, but rather leaves it up to you to choose which gesture handler you want (or build your own). Hammer.js is a popular choice. JQuery Mobile also provides some very basic gesture support.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Re: How is "Press and Tap" different from discrete "Press" and "Tap" gestures?

The C++ version has definitions of what they support

Cascades...

TapHandler, handles single tap gesture
    DoubleTapHandler, handles double tap gesture
    PinchHandler, handles pinch gesture
    LongPressHandler, handles long press gesture

Native (worth checking as it's a complete list) ...

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/bb10/com.qnx.doc.gestures.lib_ref/topic/overview.h...

As mentioned above hammer.js is quite good as well

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!