04-14-2011 10:29 AM - edited 04-14-2011 10:30 AM
Hang in there!
The apps are being reviewed as quickly as possible. The App World review team takes great pride in the thoroughness and acuracy of their vetting process, so there is a great deal of manual testing done. As you can imagine when a large bulk of submissions come in, it does create an expected slowdown in the rate of approvals. They have literally been going through thousands and thousands of pre-launch apps which is amazing! Thanks to all who have submitted, and your enthusiasm about building more content is exciting to see.
You will get a response, but unfortunately I cannot say when. As others have indicated, be patient. If you do receive feedback use the appropriate channels, such as the BlackBerry App World Vendor support portal to send your responses.
04-15-2011 10:05 AM - edited 04-15-2011 10:05 AM
Got playbook offer confirmation email this morning!
Congratulations! We’re pleased to inform you that your app submission qualifies for the free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet offer.
Fantastic stuff, I cant wait to get my hands on it!! I hope they don't wait too long after the US launch to send it.
04-18-2011 09:00 AM
Got my confirmation e-mail today - all approved and I published it earlier. I submitted on the 31st March.
Really pleased and amazed that the issues I had on the simulator were not a problem for the testers. Also pretty suprised I got the signing process right. lol.
Great moment.. Just waiting for my confirmation of a free playbook now.
04-18-2011 07:53 PM
I had a similar issue when posting my app as one of the previous commenters
My app (submitted before the deadline for the free playbook) was rejected as I was using the older SDK. I recompiled, bug fixed and resubmitted.
Today, I got my second rejection as "-when loading your App, it crashes after splash screen. "
The only problem is, that when I load the signed .bar into the v0.9.4 simulator, everything works fine for me.
So, just to check, does anyone know if there is a newer simulator I should be testing on to try and replicate the issue the guys at RIM have found?
And second, if I can replicate the issue, do I still qualify if I resubmit again?
I've sent a message to vendor support, but wondered if anyone here had had a similar issue