Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

How to create and use Database in developing a mobile-based website?

Hello,

I am a newbie in Mobile-based website development. So, please can anyone help me out as i want to use a database  for a mobile based website. How can i proceed further in this regard? i.e. which database i have to use and how a connection can be made to it and using which language?

Please do reply.

Thanks and regards,

Richa Bhatia

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How to create and use Database in developing a mobile-based website?

Only in BlackBerry OS v5.0 do we now have database support from a website.  This is accomplished using the Gears Database API.. Details on the Gears API can be found here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/12802/Summary_.html 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Thanks a lot for replying.

I want to ask 1 more question please help me. Actually, i am developing a website that can be viewed from many mobiles such as Blackberry, Android, Palm Pree etc.. And somewhere have i studied that we can use VS.Net for creating a website and with it, Microsoft ADO.Net Database  can be used.

So i want to ask  that is it possible or not? If not, then what other tools i have to use for creating a website?

Please reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Richa Bhatia

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

If you are a Microsoft developer then you can use ADO.NET for database access.  This is because this is server-side technology and is running on the web server and not the device.

You can create your website using any of the server side web technologies such as ASP.NET, JSP, PHP etc. Any technology that will serve up HTML will work.

When developing web sites for mobile devices, you will quickly realize that there isn't a "one size fits all".  Each set of HTML markup will likely need to be customized for each of the mobiles you are wishing to target.  And then for each version of the OS for mobile devices there are differences in capabilities of HTML/CSS rendering, JavaScript and screen sizes.

My best analogy is think of the differences between desktop browsers such as IE5/6/7/8, Firefox vX.Y, Chrome, Opera, Safari.  Then multiply that by about 10 fold when it comes to differences in mobile browsers.

Having a website that supports all mobile devices with one set of HTML means that you will likely have to take a lowest common denominator approach based on the lowest mobile device capabilities you wish to support.  The alternative is creating targeted user experiences for each of the mobiles.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer

Thanks a lot for providing me this useful information

Smiley Happy

Contributor

Can you still access a database on a server without the gears API as a quick read of that indicates that it is used for a database to be stored on the phone itself?

Does the webworks API have database classes in them?