Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

How to launch the app from a URL and then navigate to a certain section

Hi,

We have a responsive website built on Backbone.js, Zepto and HTML/CSS.

We are using WebWorks to build the app for deployment to the app store.

Our app has account sign up and confirmation etc.  Emails are sent out to the user from the server but when a user requests them from a mobile app we would like to be able to open the aforementioned app and then navigate to the correct section as dictated by the URL.

Is there an easy way to do this?  I would have thought the best way would be to detect if any email request was initiated by an app and then serve different URLs in the emails to the user that can somehow fire up the correct application.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Re: How to launch the app from a URL and then navigate to a certain section

Hmm - it sounds unlikely

The thing is that if your app has already registered the user once validated there should be no reason to use the method you describe

When resistering via the app also send the UUID of the device or some similar unique identifier

When you send the email activate that specific UUID (it's in blackberry.identity somewhere depending on OS and needs permissions)

As a result the user registers via the app - from which you got the UUID, they get an email they click on and that device is authorised to use the system

They then open the app and the login knows they are OK to use it

There are other methods I can thing of but this one seems easiest

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: AT&T Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: How to launch the app from a URL and then navigate to a certain section

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, I believe blackberry invoke API might be able to solve your problem. You can specify a custom uri scheme in your config.xml that will be recognized by the blackberry OS when your application is installed on the user's device. The browser is the gateway to launch your app using the custom uri.
i.e. if you register a uri of "launchmyapp;//specificlocationvariableshere", when that url is put the browser address bar(or clicked via anchor), the user will get a dialog asking to open your app.