Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

How to specify PlayBook minimum required OS?

I've been publishing releases of my WebWorks PlayBook app for months now to BlackBerry World without problems. I've always specified version 2.0.0 as the "Min. OS" in the File Bundles portal when uploading the .bar file.

For some reason, after the upload completes, it now resets the "Min. OS" back to 1.0.7, and when I manually change it to 2.0.0 again it tells me,

"You are about to overwrite the definition from the Bar Manifest file. This may cause negative customer impacts. Please make sure to update your Bar Manifest to the correct minimum OS."

It's never done that before. Vendor support tells me I need to set "application-requires-system" in the mainifest.mf files, but it's a webworks app... I don't have any manifest files?

Is there something I can set in the config.xml file instead to specify a minimum OS. I didn't see anything...

The app installs and works fine in testing, I'm just worried something odd might happen when real users download  and install it.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: How to specify PlayBook minimum required OS?

Cant you specify the min OS in the vendor portal? Why do it in the app installer?
Contributor

Yup, I specify 2.0.0 in the Vendor Portal, then when I upload the .bar file the portal menu resets to 1.0.7. Then when I specify 2.0.0 again, it warns me with "You are about to overwrite the definition from the Bar Manifest file. This may cause negative customer impacts. Please make sure to update your Bar Manifest to the correct minimum OS."

Never did that before. I'm guessing that they changed something because of the PlayBook OS update released today.

It may not matter, the app installs fine, but it's never happened before... but I worry that it might cause a problem when actual users download it if I force the minimum to say 2.0.0 in the Vendor Portal in spite of that warning.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Rumor has it that a new version of the PlayBook OS was released for OTA. Other than that, I dont think much work is being done on the PlayBook side nor to check that something would break because of a BB10 feature update.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Try unzipping your .bar file and inspecting the bar-descriptor.xml file inside it for a <platformVersion> tag.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor

Ah thanks, yup... in the .bar file I find:

Application-Requires-System: Tablet OS/1.0.7.0

And yet I also unzipped prior releases (which never prompted that error message) and they say that as well. It's just that the Vendor Portal is apparently now validating that .bar setting against the OS menu option we choose in the portal during the upload.

Is there a config.xml setting that determines the Application-Requires-System line in the MANIFEST.MF file of the .bar?

Or must I manually change the MANIFEST.MF file after a build?

It seems to work anyway, but I'm just picky about things like this, lol Smiley Wink

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Don't edit the manifest file directy, it is generated by the native packager based on bar-descriptor.xml. If you attempt to edit files inside the signed .bar, you'll probably invalidate the signature.

IIRC, the webworks packager uses a template to generate your bar-descriptor.xml, whcih it then passes to the AIR packager which in turn probably calls the Native packager. Have a look in your WebWorks directory for template .xml files.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Retired
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Right, the only thing that has changed here is the prompt on BlackBerry World Vendor Portal. There's no material difference if you accept the change and set 2.0 as your minimum version. WebWorks just uses the lowest version it can support by default.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
New Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Hi, I have the same problem.

I didn't understand: is it ok if we simply ignore the Vendor Portal message?

Or we must change the IDE settings in order to comply to the minimum os value requested by the Vendor Portal message?

Is there someone who uploaded a new release without re-packaging it? What did it happen when downloaded from BlackBerry World?

Thank you in advance for an answer.

Contributor

I couldn't find the string for setting the minimum OS anywhere in the template (or other) files on my computer, so I went ahead and submitted the app anyway, setting the minimum OS to 2.0 in the Vendor Portal.

BlackBerry approved and published it, for what it's worth.

So I'm assuming Tim is right, in that nothing really changed except we now get a warning message in the portal.