Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Icon Size for Playbook

Hey jonberry, that's a great and valid question, but I'm afraid I don't have a clear answer for you other than "it just does" Smiley Happy  

I will try to get a better answer out of the OS guys and post back with a response, but my suspicion is simply that a change went in somewhere between 0.9.4 and what our current (internal soon to be public) builds that altered this behavior.

That being said, icon best practice is 86 x 86 dimensions and PNG format.  Let this be one of the laws of PlayBook development Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I understand that's what we have to do but It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have a static app icon size.

At some point in the future RIM will probably have larger tablets with higher res screens and the icons will need to be larger so it makes more sense to me if the system dynamically adjusts the icon size for best fit.

Regular Visitor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: WiFi

My problem is similar. I was told my icon was too large and to resubmit. The catch is, the icon I defined in my blackberry-tablet.xml file was 86x86! And I was told to resize it to 86x86.

Frustrating.

The icon appears in the simulator, but does seem large. Is the PlayBook seeing the 128x128 icon I also have defined in the air application descriptor?

What's going on here!?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

birnamdesigns wrote:

My problem is similar. I was told my icon was too large and to resubmit. The catch is, the icon I defined in my blackberry-tablet.xml file was 86x86! And I was told to resize it to 86x86.

Frustrating.

The icon appears in the simulator, but does seem large. Is the PlayBook seeing the 128x128 icon I also have defined in the air application descriptor?

What's going on here!?

Interesting...

Perhaps the problem has to do with the .png format or the .png transparency and not the icon size?