Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Installing Playbook Simulator on Windows 8

During installation the simulator wants to run Java Virtual Machine 6 located in Program Files rather than the Java Virtual Machine 7 Located in Program Files (x86).

It is also misidentifying my processor. Seems to think I have an amd64 machine.

JVM 7 is properly installed.

Am I trying to install the wrong simulator?  (name below)

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-2.1.0-1032-Win-201209272349.exe

This beats the heck out of me. Wasted the entire morning messing around with this.

Any help, suggestions welcome.

Cheers...

Gus Creces

(gcreces)

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Re: Installing Playbook Simulator on Windows 8

If its trying to install from Program Files location and your machine is identifying as amd64 then its likely you do have a 64bit machine and windows 8 64bit.  The problem is that the BB products dont run with 64bit Java.  The do run on 64bit machines, as I have been developing on 64bit for ages now.

You have to somehow force it to install using the Java in Program Files (x86) folder.  If you type Java in the search or go to your control panel you will get a java control panel window.  Click on the Java tab and click the button View to manage which versions are active.  Try eneabling or disabling versions then running the installer again.

If it helped you, click like. Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Hi,

I really appreciate your reply and effort to help. thank you.

If I said Windows 8 -- I meant Windows 7 (sorry). 

I did as you suggested and there is only one Java version installed and enabled (Ver 7_11) and it is pathed correctly in the x86 directory below program files. 

It is a 32 bit version and runs correctly with other .vmx files I have here. In fact while I was scouting for .vmx files I found an older playbook simulator from more than a year ago. It ran ok, in with Java 7 and the VMWare player. Trouble is this emulator is seriously out of date and approximates the O/S available on the very first Playbook released, bugs and all. 

So it seems to me that the playbook simulator installer is the problem here. Or its finding something (path-wise) on my machine that causes it to look in c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\amd64\ for jvm.cfg.

It should be looking in c:\program files (x86)\java\jre7\lib\i386\ for jvm.cfg (that's where it's located). THis is also the location configured on the Java console.

Any other ideas?

I'm at my wit's end.

If not, I'm going to try installing this on another machine (hope it works) and just copying over the .vmx and other stuff.  

Wish me luck. 

Cheers...

Gus M. Creces

(gcreces) 

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Click Start ->

right click on My Computer ->

click Properties ->

on the left click Advanced System Settings.  

Click the Environment Variables button.

On this window use the second list called System Variables.  Look for the PATH variable and check if the java folder is in there.  It may be wrong.  I have C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin added to the end of my path.  I'm sure you can set your path to what it needs to be.

ALSO look out for a JAVA_HOME variable.  That can affect it too.

This can also be found at: Control Panel\System and Security\System

If it helped you, click like. Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Hi...

Once again thanks for helping out.

I got it working by installing on another machine (a win 8 machine, nonetheless) ;-)

I copied the .VMX and supporting files to my Win 7 Machine where it does run OK.

I'll check the items you suggested.

Installing on WIn8 was a piece of cake so there's something not right on this Win7 machine.

Once again thank you very much for your help.

Cheers...

Gus