Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9550,9300,9800,9700,9900,9850,9860

Invoke Blackberry Maps in a Div tag

Hi...

I want to invoke the Blackberry Maps inside a Div tag or iframe tag...
but i can't gat any idea how to diaplay the maps in a fixed width and height...

Please help me....if any one have any code or hints please share it.... 

Thanks & Regards,
Nitish Subudhi

Feel Free To Press The Like Button On The Right Side To Thank The User That Helped You.
Please Mark Posts As Solved If You Found a Solution.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Invoke Blackberry Maps in a Div tag

Are you referring to browser-based content, or are you building a WebWorks application?

Also to clarify, you don't want to launch the external BB Maps application, but rather display map content directly within your application?

If so, the answer is not to embed BlackBerry maps itself.  BB Maps has a Java UI control, however it is not compatible with the BrowserField UI API used to render content within a WebWorks application.

However there are many JavaScript-based mapping libraries that you can use to enable this capability:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/lightweight-maps-for-mobile-part-1/

Also, we have a WebWorks extension "Location Picker" publised in Github that lets you overlay the BB Maps UI control on top of your WebWorks app, and use that to select a location from the map:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/Smartphone/LocationPicker

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Trusted Contributor

Hi Astanley......
thanks for replying the post...
Actually i am building a Webworks project,,,where i have to integrate blackberry map inside a div tag or iframe with having some fixed width and height....

i have implemented the google map in that tag but i need to integrate blackberry map....is that possible???????
Thanks & Regards,
Nitish Subudhi

Feel Free To Press The Like Button On The Right Side To Thank The User That Helped You.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

No, not like how you want to. BlackBerry Maps currently offers a Java UI control, but not a Web interface - so you cannot embed it within a BrowserField.  As I had mentioned earlier - you could either launch into the BlackBerry maps app itself, or use the locationPicker to push a new screen onto the display stack where the Maps UI control is displayed.

Otherwise - consider using a different Web maps solution other than Google Maps.  Please read the following blog post before proceeding any further:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/lightweight-maps-for-mobile-part-1/

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Thanks a lot astanley for your reply......
Thanks & Regards,
Nitish Subudhi