Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

Re: Is HTML5 audio working on Playbook?

I think your problem likely goes deeper than this -- WebKit's support for HTML5 audio is pretty much useless for short blips or for realtime reactions. There's not a browser around right now that has acceptable HTML5 audio support for this sort of thing (well, OK, last time I tried, Chrome was on v16, now we're on v21 .. so, as of a couple months ago, anyway).

What is done on other systems, is attempt to forward the sound playback into some kind of native code -- either via PhoneGap plugins or Flash or something along those lines.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

eblade wrote:
I think your problem likely goes deeper than this -- WebKit's support for HTML5 audio is pretty much useless for short blips or for realtime reactions. There's not a browser around right now that has acceptable HTML5 audio support for this sort of thing (well, OK, last time I tried, Chrome was on v16, now we're on v21 .. so, as of a couple months ago, anyway).

Thanks for the response, but in this case I'd place the blame on RIM. The same audio clips and HTML5 audio code run just fine on desktop Chrome (Webkit based, v19) as well as Firefox and Opera. It is only the Playbook's browser that chokes. I suspect there may be an issue with the Playbook's audio implementation for Webkit. It's not an issue with Webkit itself.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

hmm. keep in mind that the current versions of all the browsers ahve been updated within the last month or so, and that the current PlayBook browser is at the very least January-ish. Regardless of where the blame is, on pretty much all the mobile platforms, if you want to guarantee reliably sound playback, you need to go closer to native.