Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9900 - Playbook
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Is WebWorks the easiest?

Hello I am new to developing and right now I am starting right at the noob level, I make websites and I want to get into the mobile market. I have tons of ideas but not the capital to hire a dev unfortantly. 

Is WebWorks the best place to start for absolute beginners?  Or should I look into one of the other platforms to dev. 

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: GiffGaff

Re: Is WebWorks the easiest?

I have started with Webworks after using Phonegap to create html5 apps for ios and android. Webworks does a great job of creating html5 apps and for the apps I have ported, they run a lot smoother in my Z10 than on my iPad or nexus 7. I do feel that going native will be my next step though, or at least to start using bbui.js. Just my two cents!
New Developer

Thanks, I think that will be my route also and try out the apps first and then make them native. 

Contributor
My Device: AT&T Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

I found bbUI.js to be surprisingly similar to native. Of course you can notice differene in performance; you won't be able to go crazy with scrolling on webworks like you can on native but you'll be surprised how well a webworks apps performs. 

Retired
My Device: Passport

I like HTML5/WebWorks a lot myself, and there's a lot to like.

That said, Native actually doesn't mean a whole lot of pointers and crazy low level C. The majority of your app can be written purely in QML and Javascript. Yet it runs through the Cascades engine at 60fps. There's also a lot of components provided in the SDK itself, and a ton of samples. Even when you want to do more than QML, you can use Qt, which is a very nice way to write native code. If you intend to go Native in the end, you might find it a good approach to start with QML only and gradually do more native.

It really depends on what you want to spend your time on - learning and getting better. 

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Yes (simple answer)

You can write just about anything on a desktop and it transfers to WebWorks without flaw

There are a few tydingy things you need to do (sometimes) but in general there is little work required

If you compare that to iOS or Android - there are steep hills wo climb

WW is SO easy to write for

I suggest you initially write if using Chrome them simply deploy it to WW (with a few changes - it nearly always works)

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Developer

Oh yeah

There are usually quite a lot of us areound if you get lost

Believe me - you pick it up quickly

New Developer

After trying to make even the hello world sample work in Web works, I couldn't actually. I followed the tutorial and I get services not running and I try but they will not work. So I started cascades and I'm stumped there too as it will not connect to the simulators, I have not tried it on my Z10 yet though. 

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

I've done webworks and cascades. Webworks was easier for me because I already had experience building websites and mobile compatible websites.

If I didn't have a lot of experience using html,css,js then I don't think Webworks would be any easier then Cascades. The native sdk makes everything really easy, you have a component list which you can drag and drop from, a single button you can press to deploy to the device(rather then extensive set ups or command line with webworks), and a lot of other nice features.

I wouldn't decide based on which language people suggest is easier, both Webworks and Cascades are easy to get started in but hard to master.

If you want to build something that can run on more then one platform or are more comfortable with html use webworks, if you want really fluid UI and the best performance on bb10 use Cascades.

Phil is quite correct

Cascades or NDK is hard

WebWorks is easy and portable (android + iOS merely need iScroll in general)

BB is the easiest to develop a web app for but you limit your options if you use Cascades (very hard to port)

Myself and Phil differ on this subject as I want maximum portability whilst he wants speed on BB

I accept his answer as being correct but missing a few points (soz Phil - I choose another path)

If it's not fast enough write an extension - works for me