Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Is it possible to avoid or turn off the "Content optimization by the network gateway"

Is there a meta tag or something whereby one can turn this off? The app I'm working on is already optimized for mobile, so the "content optimization" is just making it look like **bleep**. I can't really give it images saved at 100% quality because then other devices which are not blackberry's get images which are far too large.

The only workaround I've found so far is to use inline data urls for the images, which the content optimizer does not know how to screw up.

Does this "optimization" occur only when you're on a phone network? Is it turned off when you're on WIFI?

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is it possible to avoid or turn off the "Content optimization by the network gateway"

[ Edited ]

Greetings, thanks for your question.

Content optimization is performed by the MDS component of either the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Internet Service.  When browsing web pages through either of these two transports, web content will automatically be optimized for the specific BlackBerry Smartphone handheld software version.

More information on content optimization, please see Chapter 4 of the Browser Fundamentals Guide:

Content optimization can be disabled if the "x-rim-transcode-content: none" HTTP header is added to a web request.

However, there is no way to instruct the native browser to do this (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/How-to-disable-transcoding-of-an-image/m-p/24...).  The reason why is because this header cannot be defined as a meta tag in page content.

That being said, I'm curious to see your page content that has been optimized - can you provide a URL?  Perhaps you wish for your page to be displayed in Column View versus Page View?  If so, adding the following meta tag to your page header will force the browser to load your page content in Column View:

<meta http-equiv="HandheldFriendly" content="true" />

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.