Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Is the Widget API still supported? and can you use XSLT within an App?

Hi,

As far as I understand it, the Widget API allows you to create apps that look and behave similar to a native app developed in Java.

With a little less flexibility, but allowing you to reuse existing skills and to then have your App show just as any other would, and be in the users menu etc.

I'm wondering is it possible to use this with OS5 and OS6?

I am only looking to do something simple, I will be retrieving some XML from my existing web service, and then use XSLT to display the results.

Is this possible with the Widget API for both OS5 and OS6? And will I lose out on a lot of functionality by not going the Java route?

New Contributor

Re: Is the Widget API still supported? and can you use XSLT within an App?

Just an update.

I think the Widget API I refer to is now the Web Works SDK.

I am downloading the Web Works SDK and my choice of plugin for my IDE.

The remainder of my questions still stand though:

Can I use XSLT to transform the results I get (as XML) from a Web Service?

Do you lose out on a lot of functionality choosing to use this over Java Development

Does the SDK create apps valid for OS5 and OS6.

I am happy and capable of coding in Java, however as this is more of a prototype at the moment i'm looking to develop it using Javascript/HTML/XML to get something done quickly for a demo.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

the WebWorks SDK works fine for BB OS 5.0 and OS6.0, as well as playbook. There are some differences in how the browsers handle CSS and javascript, so there can be a lot of difference between an app running on OS5.0 and OS6.0 because  (and I'm assuming the new 7.0) because there is a large difference between how the browsers behave.

The Widget API allows you to make objects using the Java SDK, which can be consumed by javascript in a WebWorks app. The Widget API is used to fill in the gaps where javascript/css can't. For instance, the Audio API widget allows a webworks app to play sounds. It really just wraps the Java API Player object up and lets Javascript interface with it.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
New Contributor

Can you detect which OS the user is running, then load in a specific CSS file?

Also do you need to do a seperate build and release for OS5 and OS6 versions before adding to App World?
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes you can detect which version of the OS you are using.  You can determine this in the blackberry.system API.  You can then dynamically load in a different CSS file based on the OS.

Building a separate version for OS6 vs OS5 is more of your own preference on how you want to build your application.  You can use the same build for both environments, or you can make a specific build for each one.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter