Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

Is there a limit to local storage for Playbook WebWorks apps?

Many HTML5 browsers limit local storage per domain.  Couldn't find anything saying there was a limit for WebWorks apps, but wanted to double check before developing.  Thanks so much for your help!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is there a limit to local storage for Playbook WebWorks apps?

Yes, 5Mb of storage space is assigned by the underlying WebKit rendering engine.  The same engine is shared between WebWorks apps and the native browser so you will get a consistent user experience among both.  This limit is also consistent with other WebKit implementations.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

astanley wrote:

Yes, 5Mb of storage space is assigned by the underlying WebKit rendering engine.  The same engine is shared between WebWorks apps and the native browser so you will get a consistent user experience among both.  This limit is also consistent with other WebKit implementations.

Other implementations prompt when the limit is reached, and permit more than 5 MB if the user says so. It would be good to have that option within the Playbook too, as the power of the device makes large databases potentially very useful.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

You are correct.  I have spent the afternoon conferring with our browser dev team who have indicated that a prompt should be appearing for users to allow them to increase this limit.  This appears to be currently broken.  I have submitted a defect for repair, and we can track it here: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-183

Cheers,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the quick and positive response. I'll be tracking that defect.