Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Is there a "BlackBerry UI" CSS/JS framework for BB's - Similar to IUI for the iPhone

Take a look a http://www.jquerymobile.com.  It is in alpha development but it looks promising.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Is there a "BlackBerry UI" CSS/JS framework for BB's - Similar to IUI for the iPhone

Hey thanks!

Yeah I think this is likely the way to go... basic theming, no bloat.

Cheers!

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
New Contributor
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: SFR

My bad, latest out-of-the-box iUI doesn't support OS5.

With some private work i can't show / release, i've managed to support it, sliding transitions included.

http://cl.ly/1x1N0x3Y1c112g3V1Q0p

Since OS5 is now replaced by OS6 and PlayBook QNX-based OS, i don't think i will recode this / opensource a clone. But with some good work, yeah, it works! Smiley Happy

Developer

Hello RIM Gurus,

I know this is quite an old thread but could some good hearted guru out there point me out to the bbUI framework? I've seen them mentioned in some threads but just couldn't find where exactly to see this. Smiley Happy

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I've been incubating it in my github account Smiley Happy

https://github.com/tneil/bbUI.js

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer

Nice! Thanks tneil! And now, off to the lab Smiley Wink

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

Very encouraging, tneil! Two questions/requests:

1. Could we get a built-in call to create an always-present title bar at the top of the screen / button bar at bottom of the screen? It's a popular enough UI element that it only makes sense to simplify and standardize it.
  2. Same thing for an action pane/overlay; standardizing this would be immensely helpful.
  3. What are your thoughts on using this framework for PlayBook apps? That the samples aren't configured for the size of a PlayBook's screen aren't a barrier to me, but are the colours/styling quite right?
Retired
My Device: Z10

1. Could we get a built-in call to create an always-present title bar at the top of the screen / button bar at bottom of the screen? It's a popular enough UI element that it only makes sense to simplify and standardize it.

I've been thinking about this one... There are multiple factors involved in making this work.  One is that it needs to work with both touch screen and trackpad navigation methods.  This complicates things. 

As well, if your device is trackpad only, the system needs to be smart enough to not show the button bar at the bottom of the screen if your content needed to scroll because you would have to scroll to the bottom of your content in order to be able to focus on the button bar.  You will notice that on all BB devices that are trackpad only, there are no toolbars at the bottom of the screen.

Toolbars should only be stationary if you have a touch screen on your device.  otherwise they take up valuable screen real estate and can only be focused when you have scrolled to the extreme top or bottom of your content.

2. Same thing for an action pane/overlay; standardizing this would be immensely helpful.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for.  Can you explain further?

3. What are your thoughts on using this framework for PlayBook apps? That the samples aren't configured for the size of a PlayBook's screen aren't a barrier to me, but are the colours/styling quite right?

The general framework itself will work on PlayBook, but the controls and coloring are off. They have been created with the smartphone in mind only so far.  I would suggest looking at Marco's UI toolkit for PlayBook controls.  You could probably combine both bbUI and Marco's stuff.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook

#1: I understand what you're getting at regarding the complexity of this item. I encourage you to keep working on it - for now, I'll look at adding my own code for this for my own projects.
#2: We need something along the lines of the iOS Action Sheet to display additional options for a list option already being displayed on screen.
#3: I'll try to contribute back to your project on this one - I'll create an extra CSS stylesheet with modifications to bbUI.css that make it more PlayBook friendly.
I'm pretty jazzed about doing a significant performance increase using this framework - I'll likely have lots of questions for you to come, so consider yourself forewarned. Smiley Wink