Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: MTN

Loading Application on Device, do I need to 'sign' it ?

Hello there,

I am totally new into the mobile development, but an experienced web developer. I have developed a simple ajax application which works great in my simulator.

Now, my question is this. In order to get this application on my device, do I need to 'sign' the application? I have checked a bit and found out that to 'sign' an application you have to pay a small fee at RIM, is that correct? Or if this for my own device (i.e. not distribution), can I do this for free?

To be perfectly honest, I have tried to load my application using JavaLoader into my device, and when I try to start it I get a message like "Error starting [myapp]. Module [myapp] attempts to access a secure API.

Could you please through some light in here?

thank you,

George

Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Loading Application on Device, do I need to 'sign' it ?

My english is poor.

All applications must be signed to work on a real device.

you can buy signed keys from here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/codekeys.jsp

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Loading Application on Device, do I need to 'sign' it ?

Yes, that is correct. Any BlackBerry Java application will run in the simulator. Any application that uses a protected API must be signed before it will run on a device.

Yes, there's a fee - but you only have to pay once (you can sign millions of applications with the keys you get).

Take a look at the online help, there's a lock icon next to any method that requires code signing.