Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

My Device: Blackberry storm
My Carrier: Airtel India

Looking to load a complete web app on a blackberry app

I have a simple http web app buid using PHP/ MySQL.

Now I am looking to build a blckberry app which can load the web app from its url. something like any browser does. but I don't want address bar or file menu. just a simple browser like app which loads my prebuild website.

Will the component support the following:

html forms

javscript,

dom,

css

1) Is the above possible?
2) if not then which mobile development platform will support it

I am newbie in BlackBerry App Development,
Nick

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Looking to load a complete web app on a blackberry app

Widgets allow you to do HTML, CSS, and Javascript. I'm not sure about dom support through js or not. If you want a browser like experience without being in the actual browser, you should use widgets. They implement the BrowserField2, which sounds like what you need.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Greetings,

It does sound like building a BlackBerry Widget application would suit your needs perfectly.

BlackBerry Widgets are standalone Java applications created entirely out of standardized web technologies.  A developer can use common IDE such as Microsoft Visual Studio or Eclipse, along with our BlackBerry Web Plug-in to design, develop and build their widget applications.  Web technologies such as HTML and CSS are used to build rich and appealing user interfaces, and the use of JavaScript combined with the Widget API collection can provide the application with its underlying functionality.

To address the question about DOM support: full support of DOM Level 2 is available, providing you with the ability to modify elements of the DOM at runtime.

For more information regarding our BlackBerry Widget platform, please see the following pages:

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
New Contributor
My Device: Na
My Carrier: NA

The widgets require a 5.0 OS correct? 

What are the deployment numbers on 5.0? High enough to not rule out many users on the App World? 

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

will work on any 5.x