06-22-2010 01:31 PM
I'm new to the BB development scene, so let me just get that one right out of the way and allow you all to brace yourselves for what might be a really dumb issue or problem
Basically, on a fresh install of Win 7, I installed Eclipse Galileo, and then through the Eclipse "Install new software" menu item, added in the Widget development tools from the BB eclipse update site.
All was fine and dandy after the install - I could run widgets just fine and MDS connected like a star. Then one day I had the crazy notion that some sort of code hinting would speed up my development process within Eclipse. I decided to install Aptana, and not long after the setup process had completed and I had restarted Eclipse, did I find that any option to create a BB widget had disappeared from the menu items. I also couldn't run any existing BB test projects I'd created. Happy I was not.
Long story short, I spent some time reinstalling BB/eclipse, uninstalling BB/eclipse & reinstalling and eventually I got my environment back by downloading and installing the BB Widget 2 with Eclipse package from the BB website.
So that's where I am pretty much today, except for one problem - MDS Connection Service doesn't start up properly. Here's a screen dump from the command prompt when I launch my BB widget test project:
SCM 184.108.40.206 26 2008/02/06 <2010-06-22 18:05:05.770 BST>::<MDS-CS_MDS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, J2SE 1.6.0_ 20 Charsets supported:Big5,Big5-HKSCS,EUC-JP,EUC-KR,GB18030,GB
2312,GBK,IBM-Thai, IBM00858,IBM01140,IBM01141,IBM01142,IBM01143,IBM01 144,IBM01145,IBM01146,IBM01147 ,IBM01148,IBM01149,IBM037,IBM1026,IBM1047,IBM273,I BM277,IBM278,IBM280,IBM284,IBM 285,IBM297,IBM420,IBM424,IBM437,IBM500,IBM775,IBM8 50,IBM852,IBM855,IBM857,IBM860 ,IBM861,IBM862,IBM863,IBM864,IBM865,IBM866,IBM868, IBM869,IBM870,IBM871,IBM918,IS O-2022-CN,ISO-2022-JP,ISO-2022-JP-2,ISO-2022-KR,IS O-8859-1,ISO-8859-13,ISO-8859- 15,ISO-8859-2,ISO-8859-3,ISO-8859-4,ISO-8859-5,ISO -8859-6,ISO-8859-7,ISO-8859-8, ISO-8859-9,JIS_X0201,JIS_X0212-1990,KOI8-R,KOI8-U, Shift_JIS,TIS-620,US-ASCII,UTF -16,UTF-16BE,UTF-16LE,UTF-32,UTF-32BE,UTF-32LE,UTF -8,windows-1250,windows-1251,w indows-1252,windows-1253,windows-1254,windows-1255 ,windows-1256,windows-1257,win dows-1258,windows-31j,x-Big5-Solaris,x-euc-jp-linu x,x-EUC-TW,x-eucJP-Open,x-IBM1 006,x-IBM1025,x-IBM1046,x-IBM1097,x-IBM1098,x-IBM1 112,x-IBM1122,x-IBM1123,x-IBM1 124,x-IBM1381,x-IBM1383,x-IBM33722,x-IBM737,x-IBM8 34,x-IBM856,x-IBM874,x-IBM875, x-IBM921,x-IBM922,x-IBM930,x-IBM933,x-IBM935,x-IBM 937,x-IBM939,x-IBM942,x-IBM942 C,x-IBM943,x-IBM943C,x-IBM948,x-IBM949,x-IBM949C,x -IBM950,x-IBM964,x-IBM970,x-IS CII91,x-ISO-2022-CN-CNS,x-ISO-2022-CN-GB,x-iso-885 9-11,x-JIS0208,x-JISAutoDetect ,x-Johab,x-MacArabic,x-MacCentralEurope,x-MacCroat ian,x-MacCyrillic,x-MacDingbat ,x-MacGreek,x-MacHebrew,x-MacIceland,x-MacRoman,x- MacRomania,x-MacSymbol,x-MacTh ai,x-MacTurkish,x-MacUkraine,x-MS932_0213,x-MS950- HKSCS,x-mswin-936,x-PCK,x-SJIS _0213,x-UTF-16LE-BOM,X-UTF-32BE-BOM,X-UTF-32LE-BOM ,x-windows-50220,x-windows-502 21,x-windows-874,x-windows-949,x-windows-950,x-win dows-iso2022jp> <2010-06-22 18:05:05.790 BST>::<MDS-CS_MDS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = Def ault Job Pool size = 10> <2010-06-22 18:05:05.792 BST>::<MDS-CS_MDS>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, maxMem: 518 979584 maxPoolSize: 10> <2010-06-22 18:05:05.874 BST>::<MDS-CS_MDS>:<ERROR>:<LAYER = SCM, Invalid zip file C:\Program Files\BlackBerry Web Plug-in Eclipse\plugins\net.rim.browser.too ls.wcpc_220.127.116.11003191451-126\wcpc\mds\conf\mdswe b\mds.war (Access is denied)>
That last line looks blatently like the culprit, but I'm unable to figure out why it isn't now working. I can make the assumption that access permissions or firewall settings are obstructing MDS somehow, but without knowing what user account to give permissions to or firewall exception to add I'm kinda at a loss trying to fix this.
Would appreciate any help on this!
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-22-2010 04:31 PM
What I would suggest is installing the plug-in in a non UAC protected folder on Windows 7. Program Files has all sorts of security and user impersonation limitations based on your UAC settings in Windows 7.
I would suggest installing Eclipse into a folder somewhere that doesn't have as much authentication protection such as "C:\Eclipse".
UAC and Windows 7 combined can cause a bunch of issues when it comes to Java and user processes. It is a bit of a black art to get it all working properly
06-23-2010 04:34 AM - edited 06-23-2010 04:56 AM
Yeah....UAC. I haven't gotten around to turning that thing off yet but maybe that's what I'll do. Thing is though I originally unzipped the Eclipse files in to the Program Files folder - I'm referring to the very first time on Win 7 here - and it worked without a problem. I don't see why using the BB installer over an unzip would make any difference, but who knows. It's a black art, as you say!
Oh and p.s. I noticed another thread you started where you uploaded a bunch of widget examples - these look really great and will help my productivity no-end, so just wanted to thank you very much for those
[EDIT] - Rather than disable UAC I took Tim's suggestion and moved out the Eclipse folder from Program Files and moved to the Root. BOOM MDS connected straight away Thanks for your help Tim! (I still have no idea why this worked ok the first time around but screw it, it's working now so I dont care!)