Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Map Links Support

I am using the MDS-CS and Bold simulator from the BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0.

Does BlackBerry provide one-click navigation browser support to Map links (like the latest Google Maps for mobile)?  If not, is there a way that a web page can invoke the Google Maps for mobile application with some initial location markers.

Thank you.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Map Links Support

The BlackBerry Browser does not currently support BlackBerry Maps links.  There is no way for a web page to launch another application on the BlackBerry.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Yes there is a way, it's in the Documentation/API. In the blackberry browser go to http://mynavcode.com and look up any directions you want, click through to the directions and it'll pop up blackberry maps. Unfortunately, I'm bound by an NDA to that company that keeps me from sharing any code in the site.
New Developer
New Developer

You are RIGHT.

Thank you so much.  I am able to invoke the map from a web page now.

New Developer

Which documentation? I am not seeing it...???...???
New Developer

New Developer

If I am reading the documentation correctly, I will need to take the address info in my web application, write it to an XLOC file and then call it in order for the BlackBerry Map application to invoke and display the map information, correct?

Isn't there a way I can pass it like I do for our iPhone version where Google Maps just invokes without writing files to the server?

New Developer

garyhartaz wrote:

Isn't there a way I can pass it like I do for our iPhone version where Google Maps just invokes without writing files to the server?

Yes. Depending on your web application language you  have to send a request to the server with the address data and write back only the content of the .xloc file with the appropriate content type. And you don't have to save something on the server.

New Contributor
My Device: All
My Carrier: All

Trying to get a prototype applicaiton that does this working.  Just to verify I have the information correct here's what the CGI on the website is outputing.

Content-type: text/vnd.rim.location

"<lbs><location lon='-7938675' lat='4367022' label='Toronto' description='Toronto' zoom='1'/></lbs>";

=======================================================================

This brings up the map ok, but the location is always off the coast of africa.  I am assuming there is something wrong with the lbs string, but it's exactly as the documentation says.  I beleive the content type is correct since it's launching the maps application.

Running 5.0.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?  I've tried this with and without the double quotes and with and without the ; at the end.  Any help would be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: All
My Carrier: All

Also if anyone knows where to see what is happening in the phone logs when processing the lbs that sure would be helpful.

--Thanks