Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Maps

Hi

There

While integarating a web page containing google map with my bb widget .. I 'm just getting a blank screen. I 've added http://maps.google.com as the access element in cofing.xml.

Also generated the API key using google.

Kleward Consulting Pvt Ltd
Exceptional People : Exceptional Talent
Developer
My Device: Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Meteor (Ireland)

Re: Maps

I'm 99% certain that 'full' Google Maps isn't supported by the BlackBerry browser. Consequently it isn't supported in a widget either (just visit maps.google.com from the browser and you'll find that it doesn't work). Even if it did work in the browser, you would have to add an access element for gstatic.com to your config.xml because most of the little images overlaid on top of the map tiles come from there.

What all of this means is that if you are limited to using the Google Static Maps API in widgets (you can use the same API key as you've been using with the full maps API). One problem you'll most likely encounter with this however is that a bug in the widget runtime or BB browser seems to prevent images generated by the the Google Static Maps server from loading reliably in widgets. I've worked around this by making map requests by proxy through a simply pass-through page running on my own server. Happy to share the source for this if it would help.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks David

I 've successfully used Google Static Maps API with bb widget for displaying a map image using a proxy server.

Kleward Consulting Pvt Ltd
Exceptional People : Exceptional Talent
Developer
My Device: Galaxy S II
My Carrier: Meteor (Ireland)

I don't suppose somebody has put up a public proxy for Google Static Maps? My own proxy works fine but I'd rather that my widget didn't require use of any of my server resources Smiley Happy

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi David,

We just hit this problem - hard! Have been scratching my head and scratching my head and pulling out all my hair until I found your post. Thought I was going nuts there for a while.

Any chance you can share your workaround? We have a project supposed to be going live in the next couple of days, and any help would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ritesh

p.s. company name is snipp.com - just realized I signed up here with my personal email

ritesh@snipp.com or riteshbhavnani@gmail.com