Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

Maximum application size

The following is only tested on WebWorks (if someone fancies a boring three hour compile on AIR - please chip in)

I've been doing some tests today to find out how we can break BBWP

The initial results are posted in a Null Pointer thread but the title will mean that many people who want the information will miss it so I'm starting a new one with an obvious title so that people don't miss it

As you may (or not) be aware your Playbook apps can also be deployed to the new breed of phones, particularly the 9800 and to a lesser extent (at present) other series six devices with the added possibility of series 5 (the results are less than amazing though on the other platforms)

This is important information for you to know. If your app that you probably wrote for your free Playbook has other markets - as long as it works at a much lower resolution you can also do a release for the fone market (you'll need a sepeate set of keys for this)

I have found the following to be true (as of 16th April 2011)

The maximum size for an application on a phone appears to be 16Mb - I've commented on this problem and expect it to be resolved in the future

When it comes to Playbook apps there appears to be no limit - I just compiled a fake app of 300Mb in size (don't try this at home kids, it takes hours to do that size build)

Assuming you have both the phone and Playbook versions of the SDK installed you should note the following

It should be noted that there is an issue with the number of files in your project - a large number of files looks likely to break BBWP for a different reason

It should be noted that there are two different versions of BBWP - one is in your Playbook development directory and the other is in the Eclipse plugin

The eclipse (phone) version of the packager has the 16M limit. This is also causing problems all over the place for Android developers

The Playbook version of BBWP is hard to break - sometime soon I will try a few thousand files to test that limit on both platforms

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
New Developer
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Re: Maximum application size

hi,

Your experiment stops at testing bbwp ? Did you try and run the App in Simulator or on device ? 

I find it fails to load in either the Simulator or device for the 7-8Mb App I compiled today. I also tried various at less than this yesterday and failed to load in simulator. But that was in parallels on Mac and so my next step was to try the device. Only tried the 7-8Mb App then removed the large audio from the zip, recompiled, and it loads on the device. Not got the patience now to discover what the exact breaking point is. From the other thread we were informed about a 7Mb limit, but was not clear if this is a technical limitation of the tools or a policy set by RIM. 

I am interested to know if others are getting any luck by loading more into the webworks Apps, or if it is just something about my setup is causing the problem. BTW, today's experiment was on a bootcamp Windows 7 install, and had also upgraded the Webworks to latest release. I can't now remember the exact error, but this occurred when attempting to load to device. Exact same command worked OK once file size reduced as described.

Perhaps anyone interested in this size limit can report their own experiences ?

I would settle for 16Mb limit as reasonable for OTA installs. If only it would work !