Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

Need help for available properties that can be read from the device

hello all,

i need information about how the below properties can be read from the BB10 devices:

-          Connection operator (eg can detect if on EE, Airtel (read from status bar)

-          Contact Photos

-          CPU usage

-          Device Make

-          Device Model

-          Free Disk Space

-          OS Version

-          RAM usage

-          Roaming (eg can detect if user is roaming)

i could see one example of native cascade plugin called https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-Community-APIs/tree/master/BB10/deviceInfo that i will be able to read device make, device model, OS version, Roaming.

Contact photos i can get it from webworks apis, can u please let me know abt other remaining ones, if there are any webworks apis to find out about the same.        

- If a post contains the solution to the problem, please click "Accept as Solution"
- If a post contains helpful content, please give it a "Thumbs Up"

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: All
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Need help for available properties that can be read from the device

All the WebWorks APIs are listed on our website, https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/bb10_index.html.

The device info extension was created to fill in the gaps that existed, so as far as I know it's your best bet for getting additional information not covered in the standard APIs.

My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Need help for available properties that can be read from the device

Note the extensions published in the Community-APIs repos in Github are not actually Cascades, but C/C++.  If the logic exists at the C/C++ layer, you are able to package them as methods into a WebWorks extension, similar to what you see with the DeviceInfo API.

Start by looking here for the Core native APIs you need to wrap in a WebWorks extension.  You may be able to easily download and augment the existing DeviceInfo API, or create your own (see the TEMPLATE folder in the WebWorks-Community-APIs repo):

If you are not able/willing to do this yourself, I'd recommend submitting a new issue tagged as a request to the Github repo for these additions. Some kind community developer may help out:

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.