Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Need help with application architecture

Hi Folks,

Currently I am working on a BB application where in we need to do the following:

Take photo of a bar code.

Decode it.

Once decoded take the user to either a web page or play music file.

I am new to BB development, really appreciate some ideas as to how should I address it.

Just some outlines will be helpful, I will work on the details.

Regards

bbdeveloper1

New Developer

Re: Need help with application architecture

Once you get the information from the bar code, using that information is the easy part.  It is the bar code reader api that the blackberry api lacks.  I've looked into it, there are some 3rd party APIs to use (as other mobile OSs use them),  but I don't believe RIM has implemented this yet.
New Developer

Thanks jdr.

I should have been more clearer, basically all I need is to take a photo using the camera and based on some logic send the user to either a url or play a media file.

I have been doing some reading in the forums and on this website, really new to bb programming but certainly not new to java, appreciate if I can get some direction as to what should I use to capture the photo from camera, which ui field should I use to display that photo, and which ui field should I use to show a video or display audio banner in a screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

bbdeveloper1

New Developer

I think the problem you will run into is that there is no API to get the image from the BB camera into your web app to process the image and us the barcode.